Chapter 40. Closure

Stop right here if you haven't read the previous chapters.

Chapter40. Closure

Life was weird for all people, wasn't it? Not just with me?

Because that's how I felt that day standing on the stairs, Woody kneeling just a short pace below, with my ex-girlfriend watching by the door.

Weird.

And it wasn't just because everyone was staring at us or that my heart was pounding so fast I was about to get a seizure. The whole idea of it was weird— us ending this way. The ten-year old me wouldn't have thought about this. She would scream.

Which ironically, I did too.

"D-Destiny?" Woody's hand, the hand that had been holding the small box for the ring trembled. "W-What?"

"You have no idea!" I continued saying. Well I might have continued from something. But I didn't know if I said anything before that. I was rambling. "There were so many things I lied to you about, Woody! I don't know if I deserve you anymore. I'm a mess!"

Woody rose from the step, tucked the ring away, and took a firm hold of my shoulders. "Destiny!" she said. "Destiny, it's okay!"

"No, it's not!" I gasped for air. Other than my lungs and mouth, everything about me refused to work. I was a dynamite that had been lit up. It was only seconds before I exploded. "Last night—"

"I don't care about last night," Woody cut off.

"But!"

"Last night is in the past," she said again. It was clear as day that she was avoiding the subject. Woody exhaled and smiled at me. But I could see through her pretense. It tortured me. "About my marriage proposal—"

"Can we talk first?!"

My stomach twisted when the color drained from her face. But she had to know about me and Genesis. And I wasn't going to say yes without clearing things out.

Her jaw clenched before she nodded. "Okay," she agreed reluctantly. "Where?"

"My room."

The muscles on her throat moved when she swallowed. "We'll be back," she said, loud enough for the whole house to hear. I didn't wait to see how everyone would react and dashed up the stairs.

Woody followed right behind me to the room, locking the door when she entered. I swiveled to her, my eyes widening as I saw her expression. Nothing. Her face was a complete blank.

"I'm sorry," I started, not knowing what else to say.

Woody was still by the door, hands frozen by her side, eyes turned to the floor. I thought she wouldn't say anything, but then her eyes flickered up at me as she focused on my face. "Was she good?"

"Baby. . ."

"Were you satisfied?"

I had run to her before I knew what I've done and embraced her to me. Woody had started to shake, clutched me, choking on her tears.

"I've always respected your wishes," she rasped. "And just one day of seeing her, you've broken every promise you've ever said. Why?! Why, Des?! Do you still love her?!"

"No!"

"Then why hurt me this much?!" she yelled. "Why do this to me?!"

Because of revenge! Because Genesis and I were the only two people who knew what happened in the past!

"Because I hate her so much!" I blurted.

Woody pushed me away. "You hate her?!" She wiped her eyes. "How can you say you hate her when you screwed her last night?!"