Chapter 31. Squall

Chapter31. Squall

How do you save a friendship, salvage your relationship, and make yourself sane without ruining the whole thing? I would appreciate if someone in my make-believe audience tell me, because sitting there, watching Genesis with her head down, eyes drawn away from me, pen moving, was driving me crazy.

But it wasn't just her being busy. Student council presidents were always busy. It was the silence in-between that got me. I knew that the moment the pen stopped writing, we would go back to uncomfortable silence; the kind of silence that lingered in the air, hang like a noose, suffocated. I didn't want to lose my girlfriend with that. I loved her too much. So I jumped on the table.

Genesis gaped at me almost immediately. There was a line on her notebook the length of a finger, indicating when the table shook when I got on, or more directly, when I disturbed her concentration.

Her brows were knitting when I dangled Boy and Girl in front of her. We were alone in the student council office. I could improvise. "Hey, Girl. Ask mama what she's been doing."

"Desti—"

"Mama, what have you been doing?" Girl cut off in her small voice. Her wooden feet touched the table, walked to Gene, then bent for a bow. Her hand extended to touch Genesis' face. "Destiny misses you."

Gene closed her eyes, then sighed. She didn't answer at once, and I held onto the strings, the only thing connecting us. Finally, her eyes opened. "I was trying to make a report," she said, voice husky. Genesis was looking directly at me, something she hadn't done for weeks.

I bit my lip. "What's the report about?"

"Come here and I'll show you."

My chest was squeezing when I let go of Girl and Boy's strings and sat with my legs crossed on the table. Genesis pushed the notebook between us and curled a finger so I'd come closer. I leaned down to look at the words she'd written.

"See that?" She pointed to a paragraph. It was cursive, formal, and looked like it had been done by a professional. Before I ruined it, that is. "I'm supposed to write on this notebook and give it to the Principal by the end of the day. These are suggestions coming from the students."

"Shit."

"I'll rewrite it." She shut the notebook and shrugged. "There's nothing you can't redo as long as you know where you made the mistake. Do you realize that?"

"Genesis. . ."

"Is it me?" Her next words came as a surprise that I had to swallow the lump building on my throat. Gene's eyes had become hooded in a span of seconds, but I could still see the hurt there. I only had myself to blame. "Is it me?" she repeated, voice trembling. "Are you disgusted?"

"What? No!" I grabbed her hand before she could draw back. I wanted her to understand without explaining, but how could I do that? "Gene, I'm severely attracted to you. To. . . To everything you have to offer."

She snorted. "Destiny, you pushed me away."

"I wasn't ready." She raised an eyebrow. "Well I was, but. . ." My words trailed. My hands were shaking again. Every time I thought of it, my stomach would turn. How could I tell her without losing the twins? She'd kill Spencer. She'd never forgive him. And after they've tried to be civil for my sake, I couldn't let that happen. But what about me? What about us? I wiped the corner of my eye.

Genesis saw what I did and slackened. Her eyes that had tried to pierce me a while ago was tender now. She caressed my cheek. "I'll respect your decision," she murmured. "I'll wait for you. I've been doing that for years. And. . ." She breathed hard. "And even if we don't go there, I'll still love you. Nothing will change. I'm so crazy for you. Do you know that?"