Chapter 33. Lifeline

Chapter33. Lifeline

The Morgan's came from old money. Cold, hard, cash. In their earlier days at Bear Creek, I learned that they had enterprises in different states, connections, supporters. Lyndon Morgan was just the tip of the iceberg. His siblings, the Morgan brothers, were bankers and businessmen. And whoever else settled in other continents had quickly become the kingpin of whatever venture he was making. I was hopelessly in love with their youngest.

The guard on the front gate took one good look at me that afternoon and pressed a button. The iron grated as it swung, screeching like fingernails digging in my flesh. I stepped in. "Mr. Morgan is waiting for you in his office," the guard said.

"Okay." I stared at the Greek-styled mansion in the distance. Genesis had been indifferent about it, but I wasn't. Years later and I still felt conflicted. I liked it because of Gene. I hated it because it was stifling. My legs moved to take me there.

Inside, another guard pointed me to the grand staircase, saying, "The Governor is having a brief meeting. You can stand outside his door and wait. Someone will assist you."

"Okay," I answered again, before continuing on.

Genesis had never told me how she personally felt about the guards. At least not out loud. She never complained if she was bothered. She never said if she was lonely. But judging from her subtle cues, I guess she was.

Whenever a security member would call her phone, she'd get this desperate look on her face which would only disappear when she'd stare at me again. She was so happy when Dindo was relieved from following her. Speaking of which.

I paused in the middle of the stairs. A tall, bald, and formally dressed guy was making his way down. He didn't stop when he saw me though, but had continued going about his business, which was probably what I should do too.

"Why are you doing this?!" A shout came from the Governor's office when I got there. A secretary or guard wasn't standing by the door. It was closed. But I knew who it was. "I am sick and tired of this, dad! I wish I wasn't born into this family!"

The reply was too muffled. I didn't hear what Mr. Morgan had said.

"She's not perfect, you know!" The shout came again. "She's human, just like me, and if you don't want to acknowledge that, then fuck you!" I jumped out of the way when the double doors opened. Gaby, face white as a sheet, noticed me and glared. "What are you looking at, punk?!"

My day was nothing but horrible. I didn't want to pick a fight any more than she wanted to stay.

I moved out of the way and pressed my lips together. "Smart choice," she said as she hurried to leave. Gaby didn't give me a second glance back.

"Destiny Jones, come in." The Governor's deep voice beckoned from inside the office. I turned away from Gabrielle to the even bigger predator. He was staring outside the window, hands clasped on his back. "Close the door," he instructed.

I swallowed and pushed the door behind me after entering. The Governor had always made me feel like the way the house did, caged and backed in a corner. No wonder even his eldest picked a fight with him.

"Take a seat, Destiny. We have a lot to talk about."

The leather chair facing his desk was my only option. I had sat on it when he turned around and headed to his own throne. The king of Bear Creek Falls. He was a blonde Grizzly.

"Why did you ask me to come here, sir?" My voice was strangely low.

His fingers came together on the table. "Would you like water first? Soda?" He leaned back when I shook my head. "How's school?" he asked.