Chapter 9. Barely There

Chapter9. Barely There

One week of school and she hasn't shown up. No shadow, no messages, no traces of her. Not a peep. Where was Genesis?

Hearing the guys in the library speak about her like that upset me. I couldn't even bring myself to tell the twins or dad. They might get the wrong impression.

Somewhere inside me was the need to protect Gene, no matter what. It didn't matter if we haven't spoken for months. It didn't matter whatever rumors were circulating. Gene was Gene. She would always be my best friend.

On Monday morning, Spencer and Ester dropped by the house to walk with me to school. We were on speaking terms again. We couldn't really help it. I guess that's what it meant to have friends. More than laughing at the same childish jokes and having the same mental issues, they stuck with you like toilet paper on your shoes. Probably not the greatest example though.

"Say, Des," Spencer said. He licked his finger clean from icing. Bertha's rolls again. His day wouldn't be complete without them. "You okay with Papa Jones?"

"Sure. Why?"

"Nothing. Just asking."

I shrugged my backpack off and pulled the zipper close. Girl's hand had been poking my neck while we walked.

On my right, Ester turned a page of her book. Her class would have a test on the second week of school. What kind of child abuse was that?

"What Spencer meant to say was, you look like you've had a fight with your dad," she murmured.

I frowned as I shouldered my backpack. Trust her to lay it out there.

"We've had a minor disagreement, is all," I said. "Nothing to be worried about."

"You sure?" Spencer prodded.

"Yep," I lied.

Telling them that I've had a fight with dad for a week would make them ask questions. Questions that would lead to Genesis. And whatever lead to Genesis lately made us argue with each other. Oh life.

"Okay," Spencer said. "What about the clubs though? We're given today and tomorrow to explore our options. Which one of you squids is joining the marching band?"

"No thank you," Ester said. "The science and literary club has expressed their interest on me."

"In normal talk, that means the cults are recruiting her," Spencer explained. We both made small horns on our heads with our fingers and laughed. It never got old. "What about you, Des? What are you joining?"

"Is there something for a potato?"

"I'm pretty sure they didn't mention it on the bulletin board."

"I thought so." I sighed. Being in any club wasn't something I was looking forward to, but for seniors like us, joining extra-curricular activities was more or less required. "Maybe I'll check out the drama club or something," I answered.

Ester's book snapped close. The study God was finished with her duties. "You hate standing in front of a crowd," she said. "How can you be in the drama club?"

"It's a change of pace."

She stuffed her book inside the bag and shook her head. "You're coming with me to the literary club. I'll text you the schedule of the meeting later."

With my fate decided for the day, I drifted through class like the rest of Bear Creek High. Spencer spent his time doodling on his notebook. At one point, he slid it on my desk to show me what he was up to.