Chapter 15. Pop

Chapter15. Pop

Friends were like gums. You go to the candy store, see a bunch of options, decide your flavor, and buy them. Maybe stole them if you wanted to go to juvie. Maybe they were given to you, or you found them. The point was, they become your bubblegum. You chew them, enjoy them, and if there was a chance that you still like them, you take another one of the same flavor.

In a way, I was like that to Genesis too. She'd found me, savored me, and when she was done, she spat me out. But I was through with the blame game. She'd proven herself in Spencer's dares. What I wanted to know was where she was, why she hadn't come to school for a week, and whether she was in trouble. Chewing gum, remember? She could throw me out but I'd stick to her.

Rolls? Spencer's scrawl of a handwriting said.

He was still looking at me when I glanced at him. He tapped his pen on his desk, waiting for my reply.

I shook my head and concentrated in front where the teacher was discussing the Mayan civilization. Or was it sex ed? I wasn't listening.

After a while, another piece of paper landed in front of me. I smoothed it out and frowned.

Don't stress too much. She could be sick.

Yeah, whatever. Genesis was the last person on earth to get sick. I crumpled the paper and tossed it to his desk. He didn't look happy about it.

She could have been bitten by a stray. His next note began. Spencer had slipped it again in front of me when I thought he'd given up. Imagine this, Destiny. Gene was going somewhere, encountered a dog, pissed it off for some reason, and got bitten. What do you think follows next? Irritability, mood swings, absenteeism. She'll be alright though. She always pulls through.

The gloat on Spencer's face was too much when I stared at him. Was he crazy?

"Leave me alone," I whispered. "I'm trying to listen to the teacher."

"No way." He leaned closer to me and murmured. "You've been a zombie for days. I want my Destiny back."

"I'm not even your Destiny. Only Genesis ca—"

"Genesis is not here."

"Thank you, captain obvious."

The two of us stopped talking when the teacher paused to check his book. We were back at it again the moment he turned around to write on the board.

"Why aren't you worried?" I asked. "For all we know, the Governor could have done something to her."

"Because this isn't Star Wars. Not every father is an evil ass."

"This isn't Barney and Friends either, Spence. We're not all dino pals. Look at Gaby."

"Point taken," he murmured. "But I still rest my case about being bitten by the dog. It's hot outside. Anything could have happened."

I've settled on my seat, prepared to ignore him, when the last piece of paper reached my hand.

If it makes you feel better, I'll ask Brad if Genesis was bitten. She is his girlfriend. He'd be worried about her too. . . Hold up, I just thought of something. Brad likes to play hooky sometimes. Maybe he's making out with Genesis right now. That's why she was absent. Slick.

I crushed the note between my palms and threw it to his face. "The hell are you telling me this for?!"

Spencer's eyes widened in shock. "I was just. . ."