Chapter 30. Shallow Waters

Chapter30. Shallow Waters

I used to think that movies were sketchy when it came to time. One minute they were describing a child- the next they were filming a grown woman. I mean, were her teenage years so unimportant that they had to skip through it? Maybe. But then, I kind of got the drift being with Genesis. All days were significant, but some stood out from the rest, and you just have to include it in the story no matter how short.

A mosquito flew by my arms. Thanks to my jacket, I didn't have to scratch or swat it away, but then it buzzed by my ear. I shooed it from me.

"Did she wake up late?" I checked the sky. Ha! As if the strips of sunlight would tell me the exact minutes left before the school bell rang. Just grab your phone, Des.

The mosquito flew by my nose, and I shooed it for the second time while squirming my hand in my pocket. Twenty minutes. Enough time to walk, snuggle with each other in the student council office, and go to class.

I almost jumped out of my skin when I looked up. Gabrielle was standing just a few inches away, her face ghost-white. How much makeup did she use?

"Shit, Gabe!" I staggered back. "How long have you been here?" I glanced around. I've been standing just outside their iron gate, near enough to be there when Gene came out, hidden enough so the CCTV wouldn't catch me.

"A while," she said, taking her keys from her back pocket. The sound of a car being unlocked. I shifted nervously when the gates began to open too. "Everything's automatic." She stashed the key where it belonged and sniffed. She was still looking at me with those dark eyes. So different from Genesis'. "Have you gotten what you wanted?"

"Huh?"

"Sex?"

My hand trailed to my backpack strap. "I'm not sure-"

"Weren't you asking me about it sometime ago?" She adjusted her halter. My eyes dragged to her exposed stomach, the piercing there, then back to her face. Wasn't she supposed to be in college or something?

"I don't know what you're talking about," I denied.

She smirked. "Sure, you don't." She stepped back, then turned around. "Can't be a virgin forever, girl. One of these days, you might want to consider hitting that. If you can." Her laughter followed her inside.

Genesis stepped through the gates right then, face baffled. She glanced behind to her sister, then to me. We started to walk down the street. "What's that all about?" she said a few blocks from there. Of course she would ask.

My hands tightened around my backpack strap. It was morning but I was beginning to sweat. Seeing Gaby so early wasn't a good idea. "Nothing," I said.

"Nothing?" I could feel Gene's eyes on me. She touched my arm and I squeaked. She dropped it. "You okay?" She sounded more confused now.

I faked a smile. "Sure."

"Des?"

I stared at her. "Yeah?"

Her smile was genuine. It made me feel guilty. "I love you, okay?"

My nervousness ebbed, but just a little. "I love you too," I murmured.

She grinned and bumped our shoulders, then after a while, took my hand and slid it in her front jacket pocket with hers. She was in one of those moods when she didn't care if anyone saw. I was in one of those moods when I was thinking about dragging my tongue on her neck. Yikes.

Lunchtime was the only free period when we saw each other again. The rest of the day had been hectic with quizzes and reports.

The twins were already on our usual table when I set my tray down, silent for some reason. They were never silent. Spencer especially.