Chapter 20. Affliction

Chapter20. Affliction

Two days after the incident with Genesis and the potatoes, I sat beside the table, spoon in hand, staring at my bowl of cereals, pretending to be alright. Pretending. I hated that word. Only Hollywood actors benefited from it.

"Dad, why don't we put water on cereals instead of milk?"

"Because it tastes awful." He gave me a look over his newspaper, ruffled it, cleared his throat, and went back to reading. I wasn't having any of it.

"So technically, if I put water on mine right now, I'm just the one suffering, right?"

"Right," he mumbled.

"I don't think so." I tapped the bowl with the spoon. "Water has more benefits than milk. If I put some on mine, I'm above you all. I'm more than sixty percent water, bitch. I'm the ocean."

"Language."

"Think about it, dad. Sometimes you have to suffer. Sometimes you have to deviate from the majority because that's what's good for you. Right? Right?"

He put his newspaper down and gave me a steady look. "Are we still talking about water on cereal?"

"Do I look like I'd rather be talking about anything else?" I rolled my eyes at him. Fathers. "Back to the topic. Water is good for cereals. I don't even have to tell other people about it. I can just pour some on a bowl, bring it with me on the way to school, and pretend everything is alright even if I want to vomit because it tastes God-awful. Because that's what you do sometimes for the good of things, am I right?" I banged my hand on the table. "You have to suffer!"

"Destiny, what the hell is going on?" He didn't look scrutinizing now. He looked concerned.

He was reaching to me across the table when I pushed the chair back and glared at him as I stood. "Teenagers, dad. Teenagers." I threw my hands in the air. "We hate everything. Deal with it."

His face was a question mark when I left.

Alright, it was wrong of me to take it out on him. Wrong of me to assume that he could understand the broken messages I was trying to send. But I needed some answers. All of which no one would like to offer me.

I reached the school like the rest of the Bear Creek High Sheep's and went to my locker. Surprise, surprise, only Spencer was standing there to wait for me. Two days and Genesis was still flighty. The heck did I do this time?

"Hi, Des." Spencer bounced on his feet and straightened when I came forward. He smelled like aftershave and Bertha's rolls, a deadly combination to the stomach. I turned away while I opened the locker door.

"Hey," I said cheerily. See that was the thing about high school. You could be anyone you wanted, even a liar.

"You didn't walk with me and Ester earlier. Did you stay up late for the homework?"

"Homework?" The sound echoed repeatedly in my head. "What homework?" I swiveled to him in alarm, then punched his shoulder when he burst out laughing. "You're evil."

"You're eviler." He caught the hand I punched him with and brushed a thumb over my knuckles. "Careful there. I'm Ironman."

I retrieve my hand by segueing to my books. Didn't want him to have strange ideas. We were better off as friends. He should know that.

"So what's been keeping you busy?" Spencer said. "You always go somewhere after classes. Genesis' campaign, perhaps?"

"Nope."

"A super cool hangout I should know about?"

"Nope."

"Another boy?" He sounded disappointed.