Chapter 26. Oui

Chapter26. Oui

November fell upon us like an autumn leaf. It was unusually chilly compared to the other years that passed, but I doubt it had something to do with the weather. We were all nervously anticipating something. The school elections.

"Oui," Ester murmured. "Say it with me, Spence. Oui."

The three of us were in the library like we've promised Genesis. She wanted to save us from the mayhem of having her final campaign for this afternoon's votes. I didn't see why. Having us there could have provided her with moral support.

"Oui," Ester repeated.

Spencer tossed the book he was reading to the table and glared at his twin. "I know what oui is. Don't repeat it every few seconds."

"Oui."

He covered his ears. "Stop it, sis."

They continued speaking in hushed tones while I tried to focus on the paper in front of me. It wasn't an ordinary paper too. Years back, dad went to visit a friend in the city. When he came home, he brought a stack of stationery as both a sorry and a thank you gift for leaving me to sleep in the twin's house. That was exactly the paper stuck on my notebook now. It might have lost its scent, but that didn't mean its function was gone. Kind of like me and Genesis. She might not love me anymore, but my feelings were still there. It was complicated.

"And you," Spencer said. It sounded like their sibling love had ended, so they were looking for other people to torment. Well not this girl.

I yanked the notebook out of his reach before he could swipe it clean from my hand, then stood. The librarian, of course, didn't appreciate the scraping of the chair. Somewhere in the room, I heard the clearing of a throat.

"See what you've done." I pinched my eyes at Spencer. "I'm blacklisted."

"You're not blacklisted. She does that to everyone and forgets about it." He nudged his chin to my notebook. "What's that you're writing?"

"None of your beeswax. I'm going to that table to focus on my schoolwork, oui?" I smiled when he scowled, then gave Ester a nod before going to the next table in the corner where I could have my peace of mind. Now where was I?

Dear Genesis, Gene, never mind, you know who you are,

As you can see, even though I've written you so much letters and emails in the past, I'm still hopeless at making it. But let me try. This, after all, might be the most special letter I would ever give you. Where do I start?

I could choose a thousand different scenarios, a million different events in our life; meeting you in the ruins, us playing with Boy and Girl, exchanging messages through the window. But even though all of those are important to me, and even though all of those lead to what we are now, none is as important as the day you told me you loved me. And I have to thank you for that, for having the courage to say it to me even though your voice was shaking, and you were so scared.

Because of you didn't. . . Because if you didn't. . .

Genesis, I wouldn't have realized how much I loved you too.

Maybe it's too late. Maybe you've moved on. This is not to complicate things more than it is. It's not me begging you to love me back. It's just a girl saying she fell in love with a girl in the middle of doing all those important things. I hope nothing changes between us.

"What are you doing?"

I crumpled the letter and glanced up. Genesis was leaning on the table, a curious smile on her face.