Chapter 1: The wall

Chapter 1

Katniss P.O.V.

As I scrub the first step of the stone staircase I feel a drop of sweat land onto the back of my hand.

It's warm and I feel like I'm going to faint.

The sun is high up on the sky and makes my sight a bit blurry.

Sweat runs all over my back and I'm so thirsty.

This is what I do every day. Wash and scrub. Wash and scrub. Wash and scrub.

Wash and scrub the whole castle. And whenever I finish, I have to start all over again because it's as dirty as it was before I cleaned it.

This has been my work ever since I turned seven. The day after my seventh birthday. That's when my stepmother became real evil.

She took away all of my clothes, and dressed me in torn dresses. On my feet I don't have anything. Not anything at all. I'm always barefoot and have to watch where I'm putting my feet. They burn on the hot stones this castle is made of.

I throw the sponge into the bucket of water and sigh.

I hate this!

I sit down on the step as I start massaging my small and swollen feet. My feet aren't really that big. They're embarrassing small. But they're mine and I'm proud.

I'm not gonna let my evil stepmother bring me down, which she always tries. But I'm not gonna let her. She already has enough power over me.

I can never leave the castle. Not ever. I haven't seen the village ever since I was seven. I really want to see it.

But the wall is too high. The only thing I can see is the crowns if the high and green trees. Some of the trees are apple trees. Some of the apples are green, but the once my mouth is drooling and longing for to try, is the big red apples. They just look so juicy and tasty. You just want to take a big bite and feel all the flavors as you chew it and then let it slide down your throat to your stomach.

I continue to massage me small feet. They hurt so much.

I sigh as I take out the sponge from the bucket and empties it from all the water. I throw the sponge onto the step and carry up the bucket as I start to walk towards the water well.

I throw out all of the water on the stone floor beneath me, I need to scrub this anyways.

I take hook and hooks the bucket on it. I sink down the bucket in the well to take up more water.

I sigh at my life.

Why is my life like this? Because my mother died giving birth to me? Because my father remarried? Because he died and my stepmother got stuck with me?

But no. None of this fits. My stepmother was kind to me. She was before I turned seven. Then it all stopped just like that and she did this to me. But why? I really don't understand why?

I wanna go out and see the world. I don't to be stuck here for the rest of my life scrubbing the castle.

I've even heard about another kingdom not far away from here.

I wanna meet people. I wanna show them that I'm alive. They all think I'm dead. My stepmother told the kingdom that I died from a rear sickness. Why did she do that? I still don't understand that.

I take up the bucket again and walk back to the staircase.

I sigh again.

I put it down and walk over to the wall. The whole wall around the castle is covered with thorn, with tags longer the needles.

I put one finger to it. I jerk away my hand one second later.

I see three drops of blood drip down on the stone floor beneath me. Only three. Then it stops.

Wired.

I look down on the wall. It's impossible to climb here if you don't want to be laced.

And I don't want that. I want to live so my life has a chance of getting better some day.

That's when I see it. I see a hole in the wall. It's big enough for me to crawl under. But there is a catch of course. The thorn.

I put my fingers between the tags and try to move away the thorn from the hole.

How come there's a hole here? Why have I never noticed this before? Well maybe because I haven't really looked...

Should I risk getting caught? But no one would even recognize me, because of all the dirt on my face, hands and feet. My dress is all dirty and torn, my hair, well it isn't as glossy as it used to be. I can't even remember when I had a shower last. Or well yeah I do. I do get one every month. But only one per month and no more. So I'm not in my cleanest state right know either.

I do have a shawl tied around my waist. It's the only thing I have left from my mother. The only thing I had in my mind to hide from my stepmother.

But still. Should I take the risk?

Yes. I should take the risk.

I stand on my knees and crawl under the wall. My dress gets caught in the thorn and it rips even more as I climb through.

When I get up on my feet I lose my breath.

"Oh my god..."

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Sooo... First chapter you guys.

What did you think? Did you like it? I hope you did. I really made a big effort on this chapter.

Vote and comment please, that would make me sooo happy :D

-Josephine xx