Chapter 25: Reunited

Chapter 25

Katniss P.O.V.

"Madge, this is Peeta, my friend and my betrothed", I say introducing Peeta and Madge. "Peeta this is Madge, she was my best friend when we were children".

"It's nice to meet you your highness", Madge says and curst to Peeta.

"It's nice to see you too Madge", Peeta says smiling.

I see Gale walking around looking for something.

"I'll be right back", I tell them both and run over to Gale.

"We did it", I say and hug my dear cousin.

"Yeah, not without losses though", he says, and I can hear the lump in his throat.

"I know, I'm never going to be able to get the pictures out of my head, how I saw them die right in front of my eyes", I say, feeling a knot in my stomach grow.

"It must have been horrible", he says.

"I was", I say. "Let's think about something else, I found someone I think you'd like to meet".

I take his hand and drags him with me. He's heavy to drag, so it takes me a while. But then I come up to Madge, Johanna and Peeta.

"Madge I think you know my cousin Gale right?" I ask.

He looks at her as if she's a ghost.

"What happened to you?" Gale asks.

"Starvation", Madge mumbles.

"No more of that though, I heard the queen fled", Johanna says.

"Yeah no more starvation", I say.

"Yeah and my mother is going to send food until we can get everything going around here", Peeta says.

I notice a tension between Gale and Madge. It's making me feel uncomfortable.

"Come on guys, you haven't seen each other in so long", I say. "It's okay to look different".

"It's not that", Gale says.

"Then what is it?" I ask.

"I don't care what she looks like", Gale says. "But after thinking she was dead all this time, and now seeing her... It feels so unreal".

Madge has tears flowing down her eyes.

"I though you were dead too", she whispers.

She walk up to Gale and take his hands.

They're looking at each other so deeply. I lean against Peeta and he put his arms around me protectively.

Thresh comes up to us.

"Hey guys", he says. "Where are Cato, Marvel and Blight?"

"Gone", I say.

"What? No", Thresh says.

"Yes, I saw it happen and couldn't do anything", I say, putting my face deeply into Peeta's chest.

"They wouldn't want you to be sad though, they're from here, they're just happy they died trying to save our home", Johanna says. "I know it".

"I guess", Thresh says sadly. "Still though".

I peek up from Peeta's chest and sees the way Johanna and thresh looks at each other. Hm...

I see Madge lean in towards Gale and kiss him. That's really cute.

"Where is Finnick?" I start to get nervous because I haven't seen him.