Chapter 4: Run

Chapter 4

Katniss P.O.V.

I'm dressed in a very beautiful dress. It's so beautiful that my breath stops.

I'm not going yet though, so I just wander in the castle.

I'm careful not to let anyone see me, I don't want to get into trouble. But I haven't really had a chance to look around since I was a little girl, and I want to see. It's my castle, even though my crazy stupid stepmother think it's her castle.

Somewhere in the more distant part of the castle I find stairs that leads up to an attic.

At first I'm unsure of what to do, because honestly, this part of the castle creeps me out. I remember it though. I think I used to have my old room in this part of the castle.

I leave the attic to be, and look around more in this area.

I find a door, that looks the most dirtiest. I try to open it, but I can't, it's locked.

I take one hairpin from my hair and try to lock up the door.

I know it's foolish, but what else am I gonna try? It's not so much more I can do, and I want to open it.

But I can't. I lose patience.

I don't think anyone hears me here anyways. I think it may be too far away from where people in the castle are allowed to be. And yes, I remember that this part is strictly forbidden.

I raise my leg and kick as hard as I possibly can on the door and it breaks open.

The door slides slowly into the room a and I push it as I walk in.

This is the room of a child. A girl. Me. This is my old room.

Pink everywhere, although now, it's really dusty. No one has been inside of this room for ten years.

I get tears in my eyes, but I don't cry.

I look around, everything is exactly where I put it before I walked out for the very last time.

I walk up to the bed. I sit down and look at the photo I have on the night stand.

It's a photo I have on my father and I'm sitting in my fathers lap, kissing his cheek and he hugs me tight, never letting go. I was one, but I was pretty big and could manage a wet kiss on my fathers cheek.

My hair had just started to grow a lot. I look bigger than one, maybe two, yeah, two.

Tears are streaming down my face, but I quickly wipe them away with the back of my hand.

My daddy...

When I turn my head I see a big box.

I walk up to it and stand on my knees.

Katniss! It says on the box with a rough handwriting. I guess that my stepmother wrote that herself.

I open the box and find some of my old toys and hair ribbons. But I find a one other thing. A torn old photo.

I pick it up, and my heart drops to my stomach. My mother.

I feel the tears come back.

I quickly put the photo in the little pocket on my chest.

I stand up and run out of the room. I don't even bother to close the door, it's broken anyway.

I run out of the forbidden corridor and into the big hall, where I'm suppose to meet up with the huntsman that is going to come with me as a 'guard'.