Chapter 23: War part 1

Chapter 23

Katniss P.O.V.

We're ready. Everything is ready. We're on our way to my kingdom now.

Peeta and I are leading the knights, since Peeta is the crown prince and I'm his princess. I'm not just a princess now, I'm his princess, since we're getting married when all of this is over. Married. God I'm only seventeen, soon eighteen.

I'm just saying, if I ever have kids, I'm not gonna force them to marry someone they do not want to marry. And screw the laws of marrying another royalty. Love can't know who's royal and who's not. Two heart should bring two people together, not two parents.

"What are you thinking about?" I hear Peeta's voice who brings me back to life.

"Huh?" I ask, looking at him.

He's on his house, that is walking closely beside mine. We're not traveling fast, we don't have to, the way we're talking now is much faster then the way the boys and I took.

The boys are right behind us. Elsa, Sven and Lyre are at the castle with Queen Merallda, Prim and little Posy. Howard is like always sitting on Gale's shoulder. I can't believe how Gale can put up with that evil owl. I swear that he's out to get me.

"It looks like you're somewhere far away", Peeta chuckles. "Deep thoughts?"

I sigh.

"Yeah I guess", I say. "I just... We're young".

I think he knows what I'm talking about, because he nods understanding.

"I know, trust me I've had my doubts about getting married", he says.

He has? He always seem so sure and calm.

"You have?" I ask.

"Of course, I've always wanted to find my own bride, and get drawn by emotions, not family, and not get married at this age", he says. "I can't explain how many times I've tried to explain that to my mother, she just wouldn't cave. But since we're honest here, I'm not sad that we're getting married, you're pretty amazing, so it could have been worse".

Yeah. Yeah he's right it could have been worse. I could have ended up with a horrible boy, or dead. I mean I guess I still can end up dead, but I'm not going to. I want a future.

I smile at Peeta.

"Yeah you're right, and just so you know, you're pretty amazing yourself", I say.

We continue the travel for a few hours.

Then Peeta stops his horse.

"We're here", he says.

I look out over the village. Oh my god. Houses has burnt, and there's ashes everywhere.

We ride into the the village. The crying and devastated people are looking at us. They look closer at me then the others.

When we're in the middle of the village we stop. Peeta and I in the front.

"I'm princess Katniss", I say. "I know my stepmother told you all I was dead. That information was incorrect. I'm alive. She kept me locked up in the castle. I didn't know what was going on here, and once I figured it out, I traveled to our neighbor kingdom to ask for help. They agreed. The they has come for me to take back my kingdom and make the lives of my people better".

The people are crying, cheering as they are shocked to find out I'm alive.

"Katniss!"

Madge. I see her.