Chapter 9: Making plans

Chapter 9

Katniss P.O.V.

Even though Howard and I hate each other, he have his moments where he feel that he can try to be a nice owl and actually do as I say.

It have been about two months since the queen ordered the huntsman to kill me. Two months since I came here and met the boys and Posy. Two months since I met my long lost cousins.

I asked him to fly into the village and steal one of the newspapers. I have to know what happens there. If it is worse now, or if it gets better now when the evil queen thinks I'm dead.

Howard actually said that hell do that and flew towards the village.

But the thing is that he's not back yet. And I'm actually starting to get worried. No one but I can kill him, so I hope no one in the village caught him or something.

I'm sitting outside on the grass with the boys. Posy runs around and plays with Lyre. Posy and Lyre is inseparable, they do everything together and Posy's favorite thing is to ride on Lyre's back when he runs around. She have started to be really good at sitting put and not fall off. At first she did fall off because she didn't have the balance to sit straight, but now she do.

Gale have started to be less and less protective when she's out with Lyre in the woods, and he didn't like it when she sat on Lyre's back, but now he don't mind it at all.

I look up at the sky, searching with my eyes after a certain irritating owl, who is no where to be seen yet.

God, Howard has been gone for a long time now. I really wonder what is taking him so long to get back.

"Katniss he'll be here soon", Gale says.

"Yeah and while he's not here, I try to enjoy the moment, because you two sure know how to fight and argue", Finnick says. "So please don't ruin our moment of peace".

I slap Finnick at the back of his head as everyone start to laugh.

But true though, I've gotta admit that. Howard and I do fight a lot, so when he's not here it is kind of a peaceful moment.

I wonder what happens in the kingdom though. It feels like I fail my people even though they don't know I'm alive. I mean it's my duty to keep them safe, but I fail as a princess, I fail at everything. I can't even keep my people safe.

"I sure hope Annie is okay", Finnick mumble as he looks down at the grass.

This is the first time I hear the name Annie. Who's Annie? Okay now I got curious.

"Who's Annie?" I ask.

"A girl in the village, she's a little sick, in um... In her head... She um... Saw her family getting beaten to death on order of the queen", Finnick mumble and my heart sink to my stomach and I start to feel sick.

"So she's mentally ill?" I ask carefully.

"I guess you could say that, I mean she don't run around like a manic and stuff, she just... She tries to push out reality and have hard to focus and yeah..." Finnick mumbles.

He really love this girl. Anyone can see that in his eyes and hear it in his voice.

"So she's alone?" I ask.

"No, she's with my grandmother Mags, she takes care of Annie", I say.

"Why did you leave them?" I ask.

Finnick take a deep breath full of tears, yet he don't cry. Oh poor Finnick, he really feels bad about something.

"I had no choice, they would've gotten killed if I had stayed", Finnick says.