And Then They Were Four

- Chapter Twenty-Eight -

You, Leo, and the Davenport siblings were hanging out in the living quarters. Leo and Adam were playing foosball, Chase was on his tablet, Bree was on her phone, and you were peacefully reading. As you read, Mr. Davenport walked in interrupting your peaceful reading, making you sigh.

"Good news, guys, I am totally free this weekend," Mr. Davenport announced. "No meetings, no conferences. Just two fun-filled days with me."

"So no conferences at all?" Bree asked. "You know, if we looked really hard, I bet we can find you one."

Your lips twitched upwards as Mr. Davenport spoke. "Are you saying you don't want to hang out with me?"

"Well, if she's not, I am," Adam stated as he went back to playing foosball.

"Alright. What about you Leo?" Mr. Davenport asked.

"Uh, Big D., I'd love to, but I just really don't want to," Leo replied bluntly.

Mr. Davenport then looked at you but shook his head. "I'm not even going to ask you."

"Great choice," you stated.

"Don't worry Mr. Davenport," Chase stated as he stood up. "I'll hang out with you."

"You know what? I got a lot of work," Mr. Davenport stated, walking away until Douglas came in. "Hey, Douglas. What's wrong with you?"

"I just got a phone call from Daniel," Douglas stated.

"Who's Daniel?" Bree asked.

"Your brother," Douglas replied, as he walked over and sat on the couch as everyone gathered around.

"We have another brother?" Chase asked in disbelief, looking at Douglas.

"I never told anyone, but...I actually created four bionic superheroes," Douglas informed. "Adam, Bree, Chase and Daniel."

"What is with you naming your kids in alphabetical order?" Leo asked as you nodded in agreement.

"It's better than their original names. Big Boy, Little Boy, and Not A Boy," Douglas motioned to Adam, Chase, and Bree.

"Another brother. Well, would it kill you to throw some lip gloss amd long hair into your test tubes?" Bree asked Douglas.

"I can't believe you never told me," Mr. Davenport stated. "Of all the rotten things you've done, this is gotta be the worst."

"I had to keep it a secret so Daniel would be safe," Douglas stated. "He was just a baby the day you stole these guys from me."

"Rescued," Mr. Davenport protested.

"Stole," Douglas corrected.

"Recused."

"Stole."

"Rescued!"

"Okay, we get it. You're both terrible people. Get to the point," Leo told Douglas.

"After Donny ratted me out, I knew I'd be living on the run, so I found Daniel a nice family that was looking to adopt," Douglas explained. "That way, he could have a safe, normal life away from all my chaos."

Your eyes soften a bit as Chase spoke. "How old is he?"

"Thirteen," Douglas replied. "He found some old records that listed me as his biological father, and he found my phone number, and here we are."

"Well, when do we get to meet him?" Bree asked as she stood.

"Woah, woah," Douglas shook his head. "I just talked to him for the first time. I don't think either one of us is ready for that."