Chapter II: Broken Spirit

It was pitch black and painfully cold but her chest felt like it's on fire and she couldn't breath. There was no air, only water, dark and murky. There was water everywhere and she was drowning. She tried to tread despite the darkness but she could no longer feel her feet. Her limbs were numb and tired.

For the last time, she gathered all her remaining strength and tried her hardest to resurface above the water but it has no use. She was sinking, sinking to the very depth. There was no hope now, she was almost at the seabed so she closed her eyes and let death claim her after all she was willing to go with Death with grateful heart.

This is way better than to stay with them, she thought.

Sabina bolted from her comfortable bed, shaking. She was covered with a flimsy layer of sweat despite the coldness of the air-cooling system and her whole body felt weak and drained because of the awful feeling inside her.

"It's just a nightmare Sabina, you're alive." She whispered to herself in her trembling voice. She tried to wiggle her limp limbs then proceeded to frisk her sweaty body. She was alive.

After several long deep breaths, she was able to pacify her fear. She peeked at the clock on her nightstand and saw that it was only 2:00AM. She really wanted to go back to sleep but was afraid that the nightmare would continue and so, she lay down languidly and stared at the white ceiling of her room while muttering a silent prayer.

The silence of the surrounding made her mind wander to the past. Memories flashed unbidden to the forefront of her mind, her family, the early life she had lived and that one terrible night.

Tears began to pour from her eyes but she wiped them roughly, feeling angry with herself. "You should be elated Sabina, you're living the life you always wanted, you have great and loyal friends and you love your job." She reminded herself.

Then she suddenly remembered, she was unemployed and it had been 3 months now. The diving school was just a part time job, she could only give diving lessons during the summer and since the rainy months were coming she needed to find a stable job. Not that she needed the money she needed a job to silence her mind.

After a couple of hours or so, an alarm sounded in her room. She dragged herself from her warm bed and sluggishly headed to the bathroom. She was in need of a scalding shower. The hot water soaking her nakedness would prove that she was alive and breathing, and that she needed to get out and go on with her life.

A smiling Sabina emerged from the bathroom an hour later, her skin was raw and red due to her super hot shower but she was used to it and she liked it that way. She skipped towards her armoire and picked her ensemble for the day.

She settled for a maxi skirt with taupe and indigo chevron print, white fitted tank top and faded denim vest. She then, blow dried her straight, full-bodied hair and put on a little bronzer, mascara and a lip tint.

Before going out of the cradle, she wore her mocha gladiator sandals and grabbed her mocha Kate Spade sling bag.

"There are many things to be thankful for." She murmured to herself while tossing the negative vibes she attracted because of her bad dream.

When she reached the ground floor, she instantly waved at the doorman. "Good morning, Alfred." She greeted him merrily. The middle-aged man waved back and smiled at her kindly.

With a big smile on her face, she hopped on her vehicle and drove away singing along with the happy song coming from her Prado's top of the line sound system.

She was planning on doing her grocery shopping this morning and afterwards, she'll drop by her best friends' shoot. She hasn't seen James and Patricia for more than two weeks now so she missed them terribly.