Chapter 7

Kimberley's POV

As I close the front door behind me I barely get a second to breathe before Dad and Sally appear in front of me.

"Where have you been?!"

"Just out for a walk."

Both of them look as relieved as each other and as I catch the time on the clock on the wall beside me I realise that I've been gone for over half an hour.

I didn't realise it had been that long. "You shouldn't have just left like that!"

"I'm sorry I just needed some air."

I move past them and go into the kitchen to get the drink of water I originally wanted nearly an hour ago.

They follow me and I notice the glass and water has been cleaned up from the floor.

Amy and Adam are both sat at the table watching me, Amy looks sad rather than anything else.

It suddenly hits me that both Sally and Adam weren't here when I left before so they must have come back in the time that I was out.

I notice that there are two people missing that played a bit part in what happened earlier but seeing as nothing has been said I decide not to question it.

"Kimberley." I turn around at my father's stern voice and he reaches out to take my hand in his.

He inspects the cut on my palm but there's really nothing to worry about, it's only a tiny cut that isn't even bleeding anymore. I had hidden the tissue that Cheryl had given me up my sleeve in case they had asked where I had got it from as I didn't really want to explain it all.

"It's fine, it doesn't hurt anymore." I told a little white lie as it's still aching slightly but I didn't want him to worry.

"If you say so but I'm getting you a plaster though." I laugh slightly at my Dad's attempt to brighten up the situation and he leaves me alone in the kitchen with my brother and sisters as he goes in search of a plaster.

Nobody says anything as I get my water and drink it and I wonder why it's so quiet.

It's not like any of us haven't seen mum in that state before.

Just before it was about to get awkward because of the silence Adam stands up and speaks. "Right well it's nice to have you back, I'm going to bed."

I smile at his attempt to make the situation any better. "Night Adam."

"Night."

Both Amy and Sally say goodnight to him too and as he leaves my attention is drawn to Amy. Since I've walked in she hasn't moved her eyes off me and the sad look on her face hasn't shifted either.

"Amy, come here."

As I reach out to her she immediately takes me hand and cuddles into me. She's gripping me tightly and I can't help but be concerned at how sad she is.

I pull away and make sure I catch her eyes so she doesn't look away from me.

"I'm fine, I promise. I just needed some air."

She looks a little happier at what I said and I feel more relaxed now knowing she's happier.

I sit on the chair she was previously on and she giggles as I pull her down to sit on my lap. I wrap my arms around her waist as my dad walks back into the kitchen with a plaster in his hand.

Nobody has mentioned anything about mum yet so I decide to ask. "Where's mum and Becky gone?"

"Becky's husband picked her up and your mum has gone to bed."