Chapter 8

Kimberley's POV

"I meant to ask earlier, what happened to your hand Kimberley?"

I look up from my food as I hear Sarah directing a question at me.

It's lunchtime, we've been sat in the hall for the last 10 minutes eating our lunch talking about our lessons this morning, the party on Saturday night and anything else that came to mind and now it sounds like the attention is on me and my cut.

"Oh, I dropped a glass, tried to clean it up and ended up catching myself." I didn't lie to them, that it was what happened. I just didn't mention what happened after, it wasn't important.

"Idiot." I laugh along with them and I realise that I was kinda an idiot, in that moment I thought I could clear up broken glass with my hands.

All of our gazes linger on my plaster for a few seconds until our attention is brought else where by Sarah.

"Meg's throwing a party this Saturday by the way, she told me in Maths to pass it round."

"Ah yes! I love Meg's parties." Sarah and I laugh at Nicola's reaction.

Another party sounds fun with Nicola and Sarah seeing as we had a fun time last time but I don't know this girl so I wonder whether or not I'm invited.

I don't know Meg, I haven't met her yet.

"Are you free on Saturday?"

I can't help it and I let my insecurities show. "Yeah, do you think she'd mind if I come?"

Sarah doesn't waste a second before responding. "She's inviting everyone, plus if we're invited then you're invited."

"Then I'd love to come."

"Yay!" Nicola's sat beside me so she wraps an arm around my shoulder and I find myself getting excited at the thought of the party.

"Meg's house is only a few minutes from mine which means it'll be the same distance from yours too."

That actually sounds good, with it only being a few minutes away made it even better.

--

If you would have asked me what we were studying in the English lesson today I wouldn't have been able to tell you in detail, I knew it was something about poems though.

Our teacher wanted us to spend the lesson analysing poems in groups.

I don't think anyone did any work.

I haven't learnt anything this lesson, I haven't even learnt the teacher's name, she said it at the start of the lesson but I can't remember it.

I spent the entire lesson chatting to Nicola and Sarah and I think everyone else did similar things.

Most people were talking and there was a few people sat at the back of the class on their phones, Cheryl and her friends being those people.

It seemed like the teacher didn't really care, she seemed to lose interest once she knew she couldn't get our attention back and hasn't tried again since the start of the lesson.

She seemed to spend most of the lesson focused on a sheet of paper on her desk, she would occasionally look up and around the classroom and then go back to whatever she was doing.

It wasn't until just over 5 minutes from the end of the lesson that she tried to talk to us all again. "Can everyone pack up but stay in your seats please."