Chapter 24

Kimberley's POV

I was sat with Nicola and Sarah talking about our weekends waiting for the lesson to start when we noticed an unfamiliar teacher appear at the front of class.

She walked in and immediately started speaking to our teacher but I didn't think anything of it until they looked in my direction.

I turn back to Sarah and Nicola who have seemed to notice it too and I can't help but be curious to what they're talking about.

I'm not left thinking for long because the unfamiliar teacher comes to our desk.

"Kimberley, can you get your stuff and come with me please?"

I'm a little stunned but I mumble a reply. "Yeah."

As I start packing away my stuff I notice that we've drawn the attention of most people in the class.

Everybody is wondering what I've done, including me.

I can't think of anything I would have done.

There aren't many reasons for a teacher to pull you out of class.

I want to know what's going on but I decide it's better to ask when we're outside away from everyone's eyes and ears.

Once I've got everything in my bag I stand up with everyone's eyes still on me, I'm just happy most of the class aren't here yet.

Nicola slides her chair further under the table so I can get past her and I do so before walking down to the front of the class.

The unknown teacher holds the door open for me and I walk out into the corridor with her following on behind me.

It's only then that I come face to face with Cheryl.

We both take a step back and it's only then I notice that she's with Nadine and another girl that I can't put a name to and she smiles at me before looking concerned as she spots the teacher behind me.

Nadine and the other girl look at me for a split second before entering the classroom as if they didn't even see me or the other teacher properly.

But I suppose for them there's nothing that concerns them here, they don't know me so why would they want to know what was happening.

Cheryl hasn't moved since I've seen her and for a second it looks as if she's going to say something but it's clear that she changes her mind when some boys I recognise to me her friends appear beside her.

She carries on into the classroom with the boys as if nothing had happened and I turn to the teacher that had pulled me out of class.

"It's Kimberley isn't it?"

I'm a little concerned that she knows who I am but I push it back. "Yeah."

"Hi, I'm Melissa, one of the school's receptionists, your mum is here to pick you up."

What?

Why is she here?

What's going on?

I don't have a dentist appointment or anything, I know she would have reminded us this morning if that was the case.

This isn't normal so I almost don't want to know what's going on but then I want to know.

"Why?"

She looks at me for a split second as if she's debating whether or not to tell me but unfortunately for me she decides not to.

"It'll be better if she tells you that, we just need to stop and get Amy and Adam and then you can see her."