Chapter 5. Birthday Blues

Pic Of Connor On The Side: Played By- Dylan O'Brien>>>>

Chapter 5. Birthday Blues

The doorbell rings throughout the house, making me get off the couch. I open the door only to reveal Connor, Lilly, and Kenzie standing there with gifts in hand.

"Hey, what're you guys doing here?" I ask curiously.

"Happy birthday!" They cheer happily while Connor blows a party whistle and Kenzie hands me a gift.

"Aww, thanks!" I grin and accept the present happily.

I invite them all inside graciously and hand them some drinks while everyone sits down and I switch the televsion off so we can talk.

"How's life being an oldie?" Lilly asks jokingly.

"You're only one month younger then me, Lilly." I laugh.

"It sucks being the youngest of our little group." She sighs.

Since today is my birthday, that makes me seventeen years old now. Connor is eighteen, he's the oldest out of us all, Lilly is sixteen and turning seventeen next month and then Kenzie is seventeen as well. That reminds me, Ryder told me yesterday how old everyone is. Jackson is apparently eighteen and so is Cole. Ryder is actually seventeen, so he is the youngest. Now that I think about it, why did he tell me their ages?

Maybe it's because he just wants me to feel like I can trust him and the others and then right when I'm on their side, feeling safe, they'll gut me like a fish and throw me in a ditch to die! Or maybe he was just telling me so I wouldn't be curious... either way, it must have to do with some sort of evil intention... right?

A knock on the door makes me frown since I do not know who else would be showing up at my doorstep. I get up off the couch again and answer the door, and am surprised at who I see.

"Happy seventeenth, Elle!"

"Chase?"

What the heck is Chase doing here?

I turn around to face everyone else and give them a deadly glare in which they return with confused looks.

"Excuse me a moment," I say to Chase.

"Could I come insi-"

I slam the door in his face before he finishes his sentence and walk over to Connor, gripping him by his ear tightly, pulling him into the kitchen while he yelps in pain.

I let go of his ear once we're both alone in the kitchen.

"What was that for, Eleanor!" He winces.

"What the heck is Chase doing here!" I whisper angrily to him.

"I don't know, does it look like I keep up with my brother's every move!" He defends himself.

"Fine, fine. It's just awkward with him here, you know?" I sigh.

"Hey, I'll be with you and I will make sure things don't awkward, okay?" He nods assuringly.

I nod and we both walk out and I take a deep breath once I am infront of the door again until I open it reluctantly and invite Chase inside.

After exactly a minute of awkward silence, Connor speaks up.

"So... presents?"

---

"A Nikon camera! Thanks, so much!" I grin at Connor, until a thought pops into my head.

"How much did this cost?" I mutter.