Chapter 10. The Warning Letter

The suns rays of light hit my skin with warmth as they shine through the window. I flutter my eyes open and sit up. Well, more like try to sit up. A heavy weight is placed around my stomach, making me very irritated.

I look at my stomach to see an arm draped around it. I widen my eyes and then the memories of last night replay in my head. I peer over my shoulder to see Cole sleeping peacefully, and snoring softly into my pillow. His hair is ruffled and his back rises and falls slowly while he breathes in and out deeply.

If Cole wakes up and sees me, he'll kill me because he will realize that last night was stupid. He'll realize that I'm just a hopeless waste of space, just like Cassandra says I am.

I swallow the lump that grows in my throat, mentally fighting with myself not to cry. I slowly grab his hand, about to move his arm off of me, until he grips me tighter and pulls me into his bare chest.

My face flushes from our close proximity, but I regain myself. I lift his arm up and move away from him just an inch and slip away from him ever so silently.

I tip-toe towards the door and slowly open it, making it squeak in the process. The floor boards creak from when I take a step outside the door. I wince at the loud noises I'm making and turn around to see if Cole is still asleep.

To my surprise, there is no one in the bed. I frown in confusion until the door slams in my face and I scream in surprise.

Cole's tall demeanour towers over me as he leans his hand against the door. A sly smirk forms on his face as he notices me checking out his abs. I flinch at his intimidating stare down but I look back up at his eyes.

"Mind telling me why you were crying for over an hour last night?" He asks, raising an eyebrow in question.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I say curtly.

Since today is Saturday, that means we don't have school, meaning I don't have an excuse to leave Cole so we can just drop this subject.

He leans closer to me so that his face is right beside mine.

"What's behind that smile of yours?" He whispers, his breath fanning my ear.

He moves away and brushes past me, leaving me baffled. I follow him down the stairs after a minute of regaining myself.

"Oh, hello sweetie. How did you sleep?" Mrs. Woods ( Meredith ) asks me.

"Good," I lie, feeling Cole's gaze on me. "Thank you for letting me stay."

"Anytime, honey." She smiles and strolls away into the kitchen.

After I get dressed and say good bye to everyone, I head for the door, until something stops me.

"You screwed up. So you fix it, got it?" Ryder's voice says sternly in the other room beside the front door.

"Don't talk to me like that, Ryder!" A bigger voice booms. "I'm your father, treat me with some respect."

"I lost all respect for you the night all this crap happened. You brought us in to a world of disaster and chaos. We never wanted this." Ryder shoots back.

I quickly leave the Woods' house, not wanting to eavesdrop anymore.

---

The morning moves by quickly, until it turns to twelve o'clock PM. I lazily lounge about in my cousins house and flip through the television channels.

Aiden, my twenty-one year old cousin, sits beside me and steals the remote from my grasp.

"What up with that?" I frown.