Chapter 12. Safe House

Warning: UNEDITED [There May Be Some Spelling Errors]

Chapter 12. Safe House

The cold wind hits my face gently as I slowly awake from my dreamless slumber. I keep my eyelids closed, too tired to face the day and decide I will just stay in bed today. Until a thought enters my mind; the fact that I am not in bed, because it feels as if I am laying upon a door.

"Eleanor, wake up."

My eyes flutter open and two cars whiz past the window I am leaning against. I sit upright immediately and look over to my left and see Cole driving the car I am sitting in. I also notice how he isn't wearing a shirt, making me turn red.

"Why are you-"

I stop mid-sentence with a wince. A pain in my leg makes me seethe as I see that my right leg is wrapped in white cloth and notice two squares sticking out of the folding process around my leg, meaning that it's Cole's short sleeve T-shirt on my leg.

"Is this your shirt?" I ask, feeling flushed.

"Uh, yeah. I didn't have anything else to stop the bleeding with." He says, scratching his neck while keeping his other hand on the steering wheel of his Mustang.

"What happened?" I ask, sitting up carefully.

"Griffin shot you in the leg..." He mutters.

My face goes pale from the shocking news but I swallow my fear.

"You're taking me to a hospital, right?" I ask.

He doesn't reply, instead speeds up and turns the car into a different lane.

"Right?" I ask again.

"Not exactly." He says with a grimace.

"What do you mean?!" I exclaim incredulously.

"I can't take you to a hospital." He says, turning the wheel and exiting the freeway.

"Why not?"

"Because then they'll ask what happened and when I say you got shot, they'll ask by who or whatever then they will call the cops and before you know it, a whole investigation is starting." He explains.

"Griffin is not the type of person to take things lightly. So if he hears the cops are on his tail, he will make not only your life, but also ours, a complete nightmare." He adds.

"Then where are you taking me?" I ask after a minute of silence.

"A safe house. I called Ryder and Jackson and they told our parents that we are all heading out for a school thing that requires us to stay the night at the school, so they only think we are at school. Ryder called your dad-"

"Like he cares," I scoff under my breath.

Cole stays silent for exactly seven seconds at that remark until he pipes up again.

"He said that's fine.." He clears his throat.

Before I can reply, a sharp pain shoots through my leg, making me grimace and seethe through my teeth and seconds later, the pain gets worse, making me scream out in agony like a dying whale.

"What, what is it, what's wrong?" Cole interrogates, shifting his eyes quickly over to me and then back to the road.

"M-my leg!" I screech, holding my throbbing leg.

"Is it-"

I let out a startling scream, cutting him off and making him swerve the car in surprise. He quickly pulls his mustang over to the side of the road and puts it in park. He unbuckles himself and turns in his seat, looking me over.