Chapter 22. Unexpected Hero

Cassandra looks to me and then to the hidden figure that lurks in the shadows. She pulls out her gun shakily and aims it towards the shadows with an angry look on her features. She flips the safety off and cocks the hammer back, which I surprisingly remembered what it is called, due to my lessons with Cole.

"Who's there?" She shouts.

The voice chuckles and something swishes in the air and Cassandra falls to the ground. I notice the small dart in her neck, and realize that she was just tranquilized and put to sleep. I twist and turn in my chair, until I actually fall over with a small groan of pain.

Rushed footsteps come up to me and something cuts my hand from behind my back and I am let free from the ropes. I press myself up from the cold floor and my feet are cut from the ropes as well. I push the chair away from me and rub my red and bloody wrists. I turn around and gasp in horror at who the unexpected hero is.

"D-Dylan?"

"Shh, you have to get out of here, alright?" My baby brother whispers and I stare at him in utter shock.

He has three straws sticking out of his front pants pocket, which I am guessing he used to spit that tranquilizer at Cassandra with, and combat boots with a dark black sweatshirt, and the hood is hovering over his spiked up hair. Admittedly, Dylan is about three inches taller than me, which makes him look older, but it amazes me how he knew I was here, and how he knew how to actually knock someone out.

"What are you doing here!" I exclaim as he helps me up. "You're only sixteen, how did you knock a twenty-something-year-old out?"

"There isn't time to explain, but all those nights I was out "partying," I actually went to an abandoned gym and practiced some fighting skills with my coach."

"You have a coach?"

"Long story, but I will explain later. Right now, you have to leave." He whispers and gently pushes me towards the exit where he entered from just minutes ago.

"But what about you?" I ask, still shocked from the whole scenario.

"I'll be fine, Eleanor. Just get out of here and run as fast as you can."

"I'm not leaving you, Dyl-"

"You better leave in less than five seconds or I will strap you to that chair again myself."

"But-"

"I'm fine, just get out of here, Elle!" He shouts and I quickly run off.

I run towards the light that shines through the door frame and I sprint through the door and book it down the very long hallway. I stop in my tracks when I meet two choices of turning left or right. I gulp and decide to go left.

I run as quietly as possible and feel light drops of water hit the top of my hair every other step I take, due to the leaking pipes above me. I realize now, that I am either in a basement or in a sewer. A gun goes off in a distance behind me and I freeze, fearing for my brother's life.

"Please be okay," I whisper as my lip quivers at the thought of him dying.

Someone snatches my arm and I squeal in surprise until they clamp their hand over my mouth and stomp on my foot to keep me quiet.

"Trying to escape, are you?" Oliver's voice whispers darkly and a shudder runs down my spine.

"Come on." He grunts and hauls me with him, but not before putting a large cloth over my head, making everything go dark.

Screaming is out of the question, because that will not accomplish anything, but a beat down. Plus, if someone happens to hear my pleas, they might get themselves into trouble, and by someone, I mean most likely my brother. I refuse to get him into more trouble with these twisted men.