Chapter 15. The Breakdown

Pic Of Lilly On The Side- Played By: Isabel Lucas>>

Chapter 15. The Breakdown

The next day at school, I decide to check in with the librarians, because I haven't seen how they were doing since the gun incident. I painfully walk down the school halls ( since I haven't healed all the way from the gun shot ) and fake a smile to my peers. I enter the school library and find that some workers are still fixing up the broken down bookshelves while they all try to alphabetize the books.

I make my way to the front desk and the young librarian gasps once she sees me.

"Y-Y-You're the one who got.. shot!" Mrs. Riley whispers at the end of her sentence. "Did you go the hospital? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just a little sore.." I murmur. "Are you okay?"

"The entire staff is completely shook up and some of them are even frightened to come to work!" She exclaims with an exasperated sigh.

"I'm so sor-"

"What happened with that man? Why was he here? Do you know him? Have you even called the cops? Because I-"

I stop her interrogating questions at once. "Hold on, you haven't called them, have you?"

"Of course I have! Did you just want me to not tell the police that an armed man came into a high school?!" She says in shock.

"It's complicated but the police just.." I trail off, not exactly sure myself on why they cannot know.

"The cops were checking out the school the entire weekend and swore to protect the school for the next two weeks just in case that man or anyone else comes here. Didn't you see the police outside in the parking lot?" She asks.

I never did notice, which is odd. How could I not notice the flashing blue and red lights of police cars? How could I not notice the police men surrounding the school? Now that I think about it, how could I not remember the police man asking me for my school ID this morning before I walked in?

I must be losing my mind if I can't remember all of that happening until the librarian just mentioned it.

I shake my thoughts away and heave a distressed sigh.

"I have to go," I mutter and turn away from her desk, quickly leaving the library and ignoring her calls for me to come back.

I stumble down the hall until I get to my locker. I quickly enter my combination and it pops open, in which I grab my health class books and shut my locker closed.

I turn to the left and slowly make my way to third period, trying to find a way to make Mrs. Riley know that she is safe and not to have her worry about me.

Because if she worries about me, then that only puts her in danger.

---

"I will be pairing you all up for this class project." Mr. Russell announces after lecturing us about a dumb project.

The class groans at his announcement, which is understandable since he always chooses the worst partners ever.

"Amara and Levi." He begins to pair people off.

"Luke and Adam."

"Lindsey and Sierra."

"Cassandra and Connor." Cassandra shrieks at Mr. Russell's words- literally shrieks.

Connor sinks into his seat and bangs his head on his desk with a small groan. Cassandra glowers at Mr. Russell and then scoffs at Connor while the rest of the boys in the class laugh and pat Connor on the shoulder while jokingly telling him "good luck."