Chapter 17. The Revenge is Just Beginning

[ a / n ]: CURRENTLY UNEDITED

Chapter 17. The Revenge is Just Beginning

The bright rays of sunshine hit my skin gently, awaking me from my dreamless slumber. I sit up, scratching my head through my tangled mess of hair. I turn my iPhone on and see that it is nearly eight o'clock, making me choke on my own spit and scramble out of bed. I pull my shorts on and slip some flip-flops onto my feet, squirming myself into a shirt. I topple down the stairs with a wince.

I hobble into the kitchen, grab a muffin and stumble out the door with my keys in hand. I turn the key into the lock of my car and jump into the drivers seat, skidding out of the driveway.

I cannot be late to school. I have never been late to school, I even have a perfect attendance award which I don't want to lose.

Once I am at a stoplight, I take the time to do my hair and put some light makeup on. The light flashes green and I hit the gas, lurching forward into the sea of cars.

After twenty minutes, I arrive at the school and park in an empty parking space. I swing the car door open and run inside, ignoring the small tint of pain shooting through my slightly wounded leg. It has healed over time and is nearly all better, but it still hurts if I use to much of my muscles.

I get into the school and run down the empty halls until I get to my locker. I unlock it and hurriedly grab my calculus books. I then sprint down a flight of stairs until I finally get to my designated classroom. I knock on the door twice, panting with hardly any air in my tired lungs.

Better check off my exercise of the day, because I assure you that I will not be doing anymore running.

A substitute teacher opens the door and frowns at my tardiness. I peer at the clock behind him and notice that I am twenty five minutes late.

"I could count your tardiness as an absent," The forty-something-year old teacher practically threatens me.

I look to the ground, hoping that he will not write me up as absent. He sighs and writes down my tardiness in his notebook.

"Sorry for my late arrival, Mr..." I trail off, not knowing his name.

"Mr. Burke," He answers my question and I nod.

"Find a seat and do not talk." He orders as I make my way into the classroom.

I sit in the back next to Kenzie and Jackson who is in front of me. I take a pencil out of my bag and tap it against my desk.

"Why were you late? You're never late." Kenzie whispers beside me.

"I know, my clock just didn't turn on for some reason. It's always on though, so I don't know how it could have-"

Jackson turns around to look at me. "Oh, Cole turned it off and said you could use the sleep and a day off from school."

"Cole brought you home?" Kenzie inquires.

"Oh right..." I start to remember the long night I had with the Woods brothers.

Then a thought occurs to me. "Why would he do that for me?"

Jackson gives me a look that says something I can't comprehend. He shrugs after I give him a confused frown and turns back around.

I look to Kenzie for an answer and she shrugs her shoulders.

After class, I decide to use my free period to go down to the computer room and type up my lab report for chemistry, which is due in three days.

I go into Miss Beckler's classroom and sit in a seat, logging myself into the computer with my user name and password, after I greet Miss Beckler.