Chapter 16. Under the Stars

My alarm clock beeps loudly, making me jolt upwards and scramble in my bed sheets in a panic. I calm down once I realize that it's just a clock and it can't hurt me. I yawn and get out of bed, slipping into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

After the awkward heartfelt moment and breakdown I had with Cole, he drove me home (after he got dressed, obviously) and made sure I was able to go to sleep safely and peacefully. I'm glad that my family and I got our house back, but without our cousins and aunt, it gets pretty quiet; but going to sleep is easier and quieter than it was at their house.

I hop out of the shower fifteen minutes later and get dressed for another dreadful day at school. I slip on some converse and some white shorts, throwing on a loose shirt. I steadily walk down the stairs, feeling a little better about my leg that is healing up day by day. I've managed to keep my wound hidden from my family since the day I got shot, but it wasn't much of a challenge since I rarely see any of my family members on a day-to-day basis.

Once I pass the empty dining hall and quiet living room, I head outside to hop into my car. I speed out of the driveway and zoom down the streets, heading to school.

---

Seven dreadful hours later, I end up in my last period class which just so happens to be Home Economics and unfortunately Cassandra is in this class.

I trudge into Room 117 and throw my bag onto an empty chair.

"Gross, who invited the cave woman?" Cassandra sneers and her "posse" cackles with her.

"It's class, moron. You're supposed to show up." Connor defends me, coming close to my side.

"Nobody asked you." She scoffs.

"Class, settle down and find a seat!" Miss Thompson announces, hushing everyone.

I sit beside Connor and lean on my hand, feeling tired already. I haven't seen any of the Woods' brothers today which made my day a little boring since I usually get my excitement from them.

I think I'll go visit them after school and see what's up. Maybe that's too weird to randomly show up.. never mind, I won't go, No wait, yes I will. Or maybe I should-

"Earth to Eleanor?" Miss Thompson snaps her fingers in front of my face and I flinch, causing the class to snicker.

"Y-Yes Miss Thompson?" I stutter in confusion.

"Pay attention. I will not allow any day dreaming and or sleeping in my class, it is unacceptable." She purses her lips and continues the lesson about our cooking schedules.

"-Loser." Cassandra coughs out a name, directed towards me.

I roll my eyes and hide the side of my face, ignoring the snickers coming from other students.

"Why don't you stand up for yourself, Elle?" Connor whispers to me.

"I can't. I would get in trouble, or get hurt in someway or another." I mutter back.

"Is that what you're afraid of? Getting hurt? I'll be with you the entire time. You just need to put Cassandra in her place." He encourages.

"I'll be fine when I'm not alone, but when I am? What then?" I remark.

"She won't hurt you." He says sincerely, not knowing what she has done in the past.

"Right," I scoff.

"At least-"

"Who's talking in my class?" Miss Thompson booms angrily.

Everyone shuts up and I sink lower into my seat. I was never one for attention, especially that from a teacher.