Chapter 25. The Raggedy Old Truck

  I sit up from the hard gravel that scrapes my arms and knees and prop myself up by my elbows. My hair dangles in front of my face annoyingly, so I blow the strands of hair out of my eyes and cautiously look over my shoulder to see why all is silent.

"C-Cole?" I stammer and my heart begins to pound furiously against my rib cage at the sight of Cole lying limp on the pebbles.

I scramble to my feet and weakly hobble over to his limp body and fall to my knees right beside him. His beautiful green eyes still shine brightly as they stare back at me and my glazed over hazel irises.

He blinks while I fear for his life.

"Did you get shot?" I ask, not wanting to know the answer.

"I'm okay," He rasps.

"We need to get you a do-doctor." I stammer, my heart pounding through my ears loudly.

"Eleanor-"

"I should call the police!" I exclaim and shakily grab Cole's phone from his jacket pocket.

"Eleanor-"

"Stay with me," I cry and bite my lip to stop the tears. "The paramedics will be here soon."

"Eleanor, listen to me!" He silences me.

"I am okay. See?" He whispers and pulls his T-shirt down to reveal a bullet proof vest, in which I gasp in astonishment.

"Y-You're okay?"

"I'm okay. The impact of the bullet just forced me back, and I fell."

My lip quivers as I heave a relieved sigh. He slowly props himself up by his elbows and gives me a small smile as he wipes away the hot tears that flow from my eyes.

"I would never leave you, Eleanor."

I wipe my eyes, feeling like a baby for crying. I let out a shaky breath and give him a nod in reply, only then remembering Griffin. I widen my eyes and peer over my shoulder quickly to see that he is nowhere in sight, but that Dylan is gaining consciousness again as Jackson lay limp while Ryder tries to wake him up.

Before having my hair block my line of vision from Griffin, I saw Griffin smack Jackson with the grip of his gun, right across the head and Jackson fell to the ground.

"Where's Griffin?" I ask in barely a whisper.

"The jerk knocked Jaskson out and ran off; I'm sorry guys, I was going to catch him, but it looked like Jackson was bleeding." Ryder admits with a hint of guilt in his tone.

"Did he run?" Dylan asks, cracking his back with a wince.

"Yeah," Cole sighs.

"Why are you on the ground?" Dylan asks as he stands up from the gravel. "He hit you too?"

"He shot at him.." I mumble incoherently.

"I had a bullet vest on, I'm fine." Cole says reassuringly and steadily gets up from the ground, reaching his hand out to me to grasp.

I grip his palm and he pulls me up as well, although, he doesn't let go of my hand as I stand beside him.

Jackson lay on the pebbles, still unconscious and Ryder kicks his rib lightly, trying to awake him. He stirs, but doesn't wake up. I reach down to the ground and grab a pebble and through a rock at him, aiming for his leg, but end up hitting him in the groin.

He groans and cusses loudly as I grimace, quickly apologizing to his angry features once he sits up in pain, finally awakening from oblivion.

"We should get out of here before Griffin comes back," Ryder says as he looks over to Oliver's unconscious body.