Chapter 28. Greatest Loss - PART ONE

[ a/n ]: dang this will be a long chapter, so i have to make separate parts because it is going to be long. :P

Chapter 28. Greatest Loss - PART ONE

  My dad throws his suitcase into the back of Andrea's car and picks up her two-ton bags and hauls them into the trunk as well. He cracks his back and looks at Dylan, Lila and I with a stern expression, about to give us a big lecture on what to do while he is away for the weekend with his girlfriend. I peer up to the grey skies and notice how the dark clouds slowly form together, clearly warning everyone it is about to rain soon.

"No parties, no road trips, no leaving the house after ten o'clock, no staying up later than midnight, no boys over for you, Eleanor and no girls over for you, Dylan. Do any homework that needs to get finished, and Lila get to bed at a reasonable time. Remember to feed Melvin and don't forget to lock the doors and windows." He says with his new fatherly tone.

Melvin, our black lab, struts his way into the yard, emerging from inside the house. I glance over at Lila and see her roll eyes at Dad's new fatherly personality.

"Understand?" Dad finishes off his speech.

The three of us nod and he kisses Lila and I on the head and pulls Dylan aside and whispers something to him and claps him on the back. Dad pats Melvin's furry head and climbs into Andrea's car while Andrea waves us goodbye.

Once the car is out of sight when it turns a corner of the road, my siblings and I shuffle back inside the house with our beloved dog. I shut the door behind me and Lila scampers up the stairs and slams her bedroom door, enclosing herself into her room for the week I suppose. Dylan jumps over our couch and spreads himself across the cushions, having his leg over the top of the couch. He grabs the remote and flips the television on, looking through all the different channels.

I lock the front door, just as Dad instructed and stroke Melvin's head and he scurries away out the back door's doggy-door. Melvin doesn't usually stay inside with the family because he is an outside dog and I barely even see him either because of school or my new job working at the library, something I enjoy because I love reading books and it's a place where I can get some quiet and embrace the amazing smell of the books, as weird as that may sound.

"Mind getting me a soda from the fridge, Elle?" I hear Dylan ask once I am almost up the stairs.

"You have legs, Dylan!" I call back to him.

I hear him groan and his feet shuffle across our wooden floor. I smirk in triumph and skip down the hall and into my room. I don't bother to shut the door because my door is practically sound proof and I wouldn't be able to hear anyone if they called for me or if someone was at the door.

Three hours pass slowly as I watch my favorite Disney movies on my laptop.

Something clanks against my window and I frown, turning my attention to my window. I shrug it off, thinking it is just the rain pelting down on my window pane. Another tap hits against my window and I stare at my window, waiting for another tap.

This time I see what causes the taps; rocks. I get up from my bed and slide my window up to see Jackson throwing rocks at my window, but clearly he doesn't notice the fact that I opened the window, so he throws yet another rock directly at my face. I yelp in pain and hold the side of my face, gritting my teeth.

"Oh, sorry. My bad!" I hear Jackson yell through the sprinkles of rain pelting down to the damp grass.

"What do you want, Jackson!" I call back acrimoniously.

"It's Griffin; he sent us something that you might want to see.."

I swallow timorously and send him a nod, sliding my window back down and snatching my jacket off of my bed and loping down the staircase, nearly running into Lila. I scurry past her and grab my house key off the key ring and unlock the front door.