Chapter 14. We All Have Our Secrets

[ a / n ]: CURRENTLY UNEDITED

Chapter 14. We All Have Secrets

Twenty minutes have passed, and still, nobody has saved us. The roller coaster seems to have grown taller than before, making me grow antsy. The man on the monitor has been speaking to us, ordering us all to stay calm, though he himself sounds unsure- so that's comforting.

Note the sarcasm.

I sometimes wonder what death is like. Not like I'm some creeper who needs to be put into a loony bin, but I just wonder if it would be peaceful or maybe painful. I hope it's peaceful, seeing how I will find out soon.

"Eleanor, listen to me."

"We're going to die." I shakily breathe out.

"No, we aren't." Cole sighs, trying to capture my attention.

"I knew I never should have came on here." I mumble.

"But you did, and you just have to live with that. Now listen to me, understand?" He says firmly. "We're going to be fine and we'll get off of this ride soon."

"Promise?" I gulp down the lump rising in my throat as I look over the edge of the cart to see we're a long ways away from the ground.

"Promise."

---

Twenty minutes pass, and suddenly the speakers near us boom out a muffled voice.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have an electrician here who is fixing the ride up and he's just finishing up. The ride will continue shortly and we will take everyone on the usual route, now that the roller coaster is safe again. There will not be anymore technical difficulties today, that we can assure you. Thank you for being patient and enjoy the rest of the ride."

Our cart rumbles for exactly four seconds, and then shifts us forward. We slowly make our way up the coaster again and then the tracks below the cart wheels click and we go zooming down the big hill, making me scream in a panic.

I reach out and clutch onto the lap-bar in front of me for support, holding onto it with all my wimpy strength.

I tightly close my eyes, feeling my stomach drop and my legs turn to jelly all over again.

We take a sharp turn to the right, making me jolt myself into Cole on accident. I don't have time to mutter a sorry, because the cart takes another turn, making me hide my face away from the frightening scene in front of me by digging my face into Cole's shoulder with a muffled scream.

Cole laughs whole-heartily and then loudly whoops with a joyous chuckle.

The ride slows to a stop and screeches on it's brakes. The people in front of our cart wobbly get out of their transportation cart and laugh with one another. I breathe heavily, having my gum almost fall out of my mouth.

"The ride is over, you can let go of me now."

I move my attention to my hand to realize that I've been clutching Cole's arm the entire ride. I swallow my pride and slowly detach myself from him, saying a quiet, "sorry."

He unlatches the lap-bar from it's lock and moves it out of our way and then unlocks himself from the shoulder harnesses with ease and hops out of the cart. While I, on the other hand, struggle to get myself out of the shoulder harnesses.

I squirm and fiddle with the buckles, but it's no use.

Finally, after watching me fail at my lame attempts for over a minute, Cole steps in to help. He rolls his eyes and unlocks me in under two seconds.