Chapter 35. Together

[a/n]: sorry for the long wait for an update, but it was tough writing this. i truly suck at writing last chapters for like any books i create. so uh sorry. also, my authors note at the end of chapter is a MUST READ.... ok, hope you enjoy this LAST. CHAPTER. :')

Chapter 35. Together

Cole slouches into the depths of his leather couch as Ryder and Jackson sit beside him. When we got back home from the police station, my father wanted to have a long conversation with Dylan about his arrest, which ended up in furious yelling from down the staircase of our home. I instructed Lila to call a friend up and head over to their house so she wouldn't have to keep listening to the family fighting angrily. I then left as well, and now here I am at the Woods house, discussing what happened with Mr. Woods at the station earlier.

"What do you mean? Your father is just dumping you all like that?" I inquire.

"I didn't really see this as a surprise. I mean, our father is a tool." Jackson shrugs and a pang spears through my chest at the thought of how he expected his own flesh and blood to pull something like this.

Before anyone can say another word, the house telephone rings loudly and Jackson stands up from the couch and strides over to the phone plugged into the wall in their kitchen area. He pulls the phone out with him to the living room where all of us are located as he speaks with the other caller on the line.

"Yes," Jackson nods into the phone.

"I don't think so." he continues while the rest of us eye him with anticipation.

"Yes. Alright, you too. Alright, good-bye." he finishes off the conversation and pulls the phone away from his ear, ending the call.

"Who was that?" Ryder asks.

"It was Chase Newman, looking for Eleanor."

All eyes land on me and I shrug awkwardly, feeling like I am being put on the spot. My phone vibrates in my back pocket and I take my mobile device out of my white shorts and glance at my new message, seeing that it is from Chase, sending me an S.O.S.

"Um, I have to go. I'll see you all later?" I say and peer up at the three boys who nod in unison.

Cole stands up and walks me to their front door, which wasn't really necessary, but much appreciated. He kisses me on the cheek, bidding me good-bye, leaving me with a bright smile that I cannot suppress.

I wave good-bye to Jackson and Ryder who are behind Cole, in the living room, and leave the Woods residence, driving off to the Newman's place which isn't too far from here. After seven minutes, I arrive in front of the Newman's house, parking my black Prius in front of their curb and exiting my vehicle after shutting the engine off. Jogging up their driveway and stopping in front of their large entry way, I knock twice and wait for an answer.

Footsteps grow louder and closer until the door opens and I smile at Mr. Newman who returns the gesture and invites me inside. The last time I have stepped foot in the Newman's house was the day after Connor died when I stopped by with some flowers, showing my sorrowfulness for them. My heart thumps louder once I step into their welcoming home and I bite my tongue to stop myself from tearing up at the memories of Connor.

"What a pleasant surprise," Mr. Newman comments with a small grin, shutting the front door behind us.

"Oh, well Chase invited me over, so." I shrug with a smile.

"Of course," he nods. "Chase is back in his room."

I nod and thank him for inviting me in and walk down the hall of their home until I reach Chase's door. I raise my fist hesitantly and take in a deep breath before knocking twice. His entry opens and he pulls me inside him room quickly, shutting the door behind me.