Chapter 27. Losing His Game

  With the next day already coming to an end with my last class coming to a stop as I sit in my uncomfortable wooden desk, I begin to wonder what my life will be like from now on without Griffin or Oliver in it.

A ruler abruptly slams down on my desk and I snap my head up to meet eyes with my chemistry teacher, Mr. Bates as he narrows his eyes at me and I give him a sheepish smile.

"Pay attention while in my class, understood, Miss Brooks?" He scolds and I nod quickly.

He moves back up to the board and continues to teach us about bond energies and enthalpies. While the class practically falls asleep and tunes Mr. Bates out, I begin to fiddle with my mechanical pencil due to boredom.

The bell rings and everyone springs up from their seats and exits the classroom. I scurry out of the building and head out to the parking lot and go to my black Prius. I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion when I see a note stuck under my windshield wipers. I pluck the note out and open it up, reading it aloud to myself.

"Meet me at the East Water Point Bridge, we need to talk." I read the letter in a whisper, looking over the signature at the bottom that states Cole's name.

I bite back a smile and climb into my car. I notice out of the corner of my eye that a car hiding under a tree near my own car rumbles to life right when I start my own engine. I shrug it off, thinking it's nothing.

I zoom out of the parking lot and down the streets to the East Water Point Bridge. I turn left, and observe the truck behind me is the same truck that pulled out of the parking lot as I did. I frown, feeling slightly frightened. I clear my throat and spin the wheel to right and take a sharp turn and the truck behind me does the same.

I widen my eyes and go a little faster, as does the truck. I step on the gas and skid into the East Point Park, coming to a stop. The truck slows down and parks itself under a tree at least ten yards away from my own car. I lock my door and keep my eyes trained on the truck with tinted windows. I narrow my irises and can hear my heart beat loudly through my chest and through my ears.

Someone suddenly pounds on my window and I scream loudly, peering over my shoulder to see a worried Cole.

I let out a sigh of relief and quickly unlock the door and open it. Before Cole can say anything, I wrap my arms around him tightly and he hugs me back in confusion and concern. He pulls me out of the car and I stand on my tippy-toes, digging my face into his shoulder for comfort. He shuts my car door and pulls me back a little so he can face me.

He places both of his hands on either side of his face and looks at me with a worried expression.

"There's a truck behind me who followed me here." I whisper softly.

Cole's gaze shifts behind me and he squints his eyes to see the truck and he grits his jaw.

"Do you know who it is?" He asks and I shake my head.

"Why don't I just talk to you in your car, instead? We would be safer anyway." He says and I agree as we both climb back into my car.

He sits in the passengers side and I sit in the drivers seat. His taller demeanor towering over me by just an inch while I look up at his gorgeous green eyes. He licks his lower lip and flickers his eyes over to me.

"I need to say this before I get interrupted for the fifth time now." He states with a small grin.

"I know that I haven't always been that kind to you, and I'm truly sorry for that, I am. You're so beautiful, it hurts and each time my mind wanders, it always finds a way back to you. Something about you made you so alluring and no matter how hard I try, I can't stay away from you. Just by talking to you makes my day. Whether it be your laugh, your smile or your personality, something brings me back to you. Something makes me stay; because Eleanor, I lo-"