1 : money

It became a recent event for Ethan's girl Polly to come and visit the bar along with that Gap model pretty boy of hers, not that I was complaining since she wasn't as bad as I pinned her out to be

Still don't know about her khaki friend though even after a whole year of seeing his face around.

"Why are you eating ice cubes in a bowl of water?" Ethan suddenly questioned, about to get the door to let Polly in as I timidly chewed the ice in my mouth, scooping it with a spoon and crunching on it.

"Ran out of cereal," I put my pointer finger up.

"And I'm broke." I said with a second finger between hard swallows of some chunks of ice that slid down my throat with surprising difficulty, shivering slightly and making a face before proceeding to eat my bowl of ice like nothing happened as I watched Ethan finally answer the door.

"Hi again." Polly beamed up at him, holding a fancy covered tray in her arms as Ethan let out a bashful "hey."

"I brought some lunch for all four of us, oh hello Veronica." She happily greeted as I gave her a nod, now used to her formality and approaching Ethan's side as I eyed the hidden food.

"I have some vegetarian and vegan hors'doeuvres." She explained as I leaned closer to Ethan, whispering a confused "she's got what now."

Polly peeled the reflective tinfoil from the tray, revealing small, perfectly toasted pieces of bread with some type of colorful, salsa-like topping on each of them.

"I'll put these on the counter." She scrunched her shoulders with excitement, making Ethan smile as I gaped at the food, the delicious scent greeting my senses as she clicked the in her pointed heels.

"Hey look, she brought my next month's rent on a silver platter." I duly noted, pointing at her with my spoon as Ethan laughed, letting out a proud "that's my girl" and patting me on the back before going over and helping her out, leaving me at the door as I watched the two in thought.

"It's actually your next two month's rent on a silver platter." That familiar, joking voice I've also grown accustomed to appeared at my side.

I didn't bother to look as Harry leaned against the doorframe, holding a tray of food himself.

"Really?" I finally looked at him, voice muffled with the spoon in my mouth.

I was holding the bowl with both hands so the spoon was held between my lips as Harry raised his hand, grabbed the end of the metal utensil and bringing it up and down, forcing my head to nod along with his movements as he said "really" with emphasis.

"What's that." I said, taking the spoon out of my mouth as I pointed at the exposed food in his grasp, the extravagant mini breads lined up on the ceramic tray matching his neatly pressed and ironed purple polo shirt.

"Ah, now this, this right here is a perfectly chilled, herbed vegetarian mushroom pate with fresh parsley and subtle hint of rosemary and the best lemon juice.." He proudly grinned, sporting dimples that paired with his pearly white teeth before his green eyes fell to the bowl in my hand.