Chapter 1

Picture of Simone

Editing done by fiddlegirl1996

************************************************************************************************************ © 2012 Shivaun T Mayers

Chapte1

I stood in front of the big brown door with my finger on the buzzer as I frantically looked around, making sure I wasn't being watched or followed. As I tried desperately to get control of my breathing, the door suddenly flew open. Chris's face was full of anger, because I probably woke him up. But when his eyes landed on me and he took in my sweaty, disheveled, and frightened appearance, worry and fear quickly replaced that anger.

He reached out for me and as I sprang into his arms, everything went black.

As I started to come to, I heard heavy footsteps moving back and forth and my body immediately tensed. I quickly opened my eyes to try to take in my surroundings and I saw Chris standing over me with worry lines etched into his forehead and a weak smile on his lips. That's when I remembered that I had made it to his house after running...running from the two men, and the club, and from Kate. Oh, no, Kate! I sprang up.

"Easy there, Simone. How are you feeling?"

With that said, I couldn't stop the tears. I started rambling incoherently about what had happened earlier that night while Chris was trying desperately to get me to calm down so he could figure out what I was trying to say. "Calm down Simone, I don't understand what you're trying to tell me," He calmly demanded.

Taking a deep breath to steady my nerves, I opened my eyes to look at him, "Ok, first off, we need to call the police!"

"The police? What on earth is going on? What happened to you?" Chris is a great guy, but I was getting a bit angry. The longer he stalled, the more danger I could be in, or worse. Kate could be dead.

"Look, I know this must seem strange-you know, me showing up in the middle of the night and all-- but I will explain after I call the police."

I was exhausted and was trying my best not to lose my patience with him. Staring at me blankly, he got to his feet, retrieved the cordless phone, and handed it to me.

I instantly dialed 911 and waited for a response. "911, what's your emergency?" was what I heard from the lady on the other end.

"Hello, my name is Simone, Simone Marshall, and I would like to report a crime." I was trying so hard to be, calm but my words came out rushed and shaky.

"Ok Simone, I want you to take a deep breath, now slowly tell me what's going on."

"Well, my friend was attacked in a club by these two men. They tried to get to me, but I managed to run away."

"Okay, are you certain that you are safe, Simone?" The operator proceeded to ask me several questions in a very calm manner. It was making me more agitated, because while she was asking so many questions, she was not getting help to my friend--my best friend.

"Listen, I know you're only doing your job, but by the time you get done interrogating me, my friend could very well be dead!" I snapped at her.

"Simone, I understand that you are upset and a little afraid for your friend's safety, but I have already sent units over to the address you gave me." I blew a sigh of relief when I heard those words.

"I just need to ask you some more questions so I can also keep the unit informed of what to expect."

"Ok, I understand. And thank you," as I looked up at Chris's face I knew I would have a lot more questions to answer.