Chapter 18

Kate

I sat stroking Patrick's head for what seemed like hours as he drifted in and out of consciousness. Simone had been constantly praying and no one else came back after Nick walked out. I was looking at the tiny window in the far corner of the room and now I could see that it was no longer daylight outside.

It was night again and time seemed to drag on, I prayed silently for help to come because with the amount of blood Patrick has lost, I didn't know if he was going to last until morning.

I was done with crying, I had to be strong for him and Simone and I truly believed her when she said that everything was going to be ok. It was like I heard a small voice telling me the same thing.

When it seemed like hours had passed, Simone was now sleeping beside me with her head leaning on my shoulder, then I heard voices outside the door. I was trying to make out who was talking and what they might be saying.

It sounded like Nick and Mr. Smith and I heard something about someone being stupid for shooting Patrick, to which I assumed that Nick was getting his tale handed to him on a platter for hurting Patrick. I knew that Mr. Smith had a soft spot for him but I wasn't sure why, whatever the reason, I was glad that Nick was getting yelled at.

He was too cocky for his own good and needed to be brought down a few pegs. Then the door was unlocked and my eyes stared straight at Mr. Smith who was the first one through the door and I instantly saw pain on his face and in his eyes when he looked down at Patrick's unconscious body.

He had some things in his hand and when I focused my attention to what they were I saw, alcohol, bandages, a few bottles of water and some cloth napkins.

Nick then stepped up behind him and immediately there was a change in Mr. Smiths demeanor, he turned around angrily, "wait for me outside; I think you have done enough damage!"

Nick looked like a sad puppy and gave him a nod then stepped back outside the door and pulled it in slightly.

When Mr. Smith turned around again, I saw he was once again sadden by what he saw, he strode towards us and came on the side where Patrick lay. He then kneeled down and placed a gentle hand on his forehead, "he is burning up" I heard him whisper but it didn't seem like he was talking to anyone in particular so I didn't respond.

Then he looked up at me, "what happened here?" I looked at him puzzled, why was he asking me I am sure his muscled goon out there filled him in on all the gory details because when he left he seemed rather proud of what he had done.

"Didn't Nick tell you?" I asked back in a soft tone, I didn't want to wake Simone, she had finally fallen to sleep and I figured she needed to keep up her strength.

"Yes he did, but I am asking you." I looked at him amazed at how softly he spoke, this was not the same proud man that I had knew, or the man who came in here so smugly just days ago to tell me my life was practically doomed.

He looked like a wounded father, like he was hurting for his child, was that it was Patrick his son. They looked nothing alike, I mean it was possible but neither of them ever spoke of it.

"Well, Nick shot Patrick from behind and we all thought he was dead, when he finally groaned, Nick came over to him and then beat and kicked him a few times for good measure."

I was getting angry again but tried my best to stay calm, he then looked down and started to clean and bandage the wound. "He is strong and will be alright, the bullet needs to be removed, so I will send someone in later to get him."

"Later, why later, he is practically on his death bed, I don't think he will last too much longer." I was on the verge of tears again but held them back, I had to be strong.