Chapter 19

I had been praying nonstop since Kate had woken me up, I was thankful to God that he sent us water, we were here all day and thirst and hunger along with fatigue and the urgent need of a bathroom were constantly in my mind.

I couldn't imagine being here for nearly two weeks like Kate had been. That would explain the strong smell of feces and urine that had attacked my senses when I first woke up in this horrid place.

But although things appeared bleak I had a peace that I couldn't explain, I prayed and trusted in God to get me and Kate through this and to save Patrick's life, it was obvious that he wasn't a bad person and was trying to help.

I had all the confidence in the world in God, that he had a plan to work things out for us and I couldn't give up on Him. I mean I was finally able to speak with my mother after so long and not feel like an outcast, I had to see her again. There was a lot I needed to do so I prayed hard for the chance to do them.

I finished my prayers and got off my knees, when I glanced over at Kate, I could tell she was tired but she was more worried about Patrick's health to even sleep. She had dark circles under her eyes and her face was sunken, her rosy cheeks were no more and that sparkle she always had in her eyes was dead.

If I didn't know this was Kate I would never have believed it myself, she would need therapy after this was all over that was for sure. But I could tell the old Kate was still in there, she was always strong willed and determined and I saw that girl several times since I was here.

First when she stood up to Nick and now as she cared for Patrick, she was not going to leave his side for a minute, not if she could help it, so I had to do something for my best friend.

"Kate, you're exhausted, you need to get some rest." I said this while moving closer to where she was sitting.

"Oh, I am fine Simone, many nights I didn't sleep so this is nothing."

"I know that you believe what you are saying but you will need to keep up your strength as well, will you just lean on my shoulder and try to get some rest?"

She was about to argue with me but I stopped her, "Listen you were down here alone for so long, I am here now, so let me be here for you."

She gave me a weak smile and nodded her head, I scooted closer and she leaned her head on my shoulder and in a matter of seconds I heard her light snores. I was relieved that she was finally getting to rest.

While she slept I kept watched over Patrick and was thankful to see the up and down rise in his chest, it meant he was still alive but for how long, if we didn't get help soon who knew if he would survive this.

I then raised my head upwards and with tears in my eyes I whispered, "not my will but let your will be done oh Lord."

At that very moment I heard loud noises from above us, and then shouting, but I couldn't make out what was going on. Then I swore I heard gun shots, Kate had filled me in on Mr. Smith's reaction to Nick for hurting Patrick, but would he go to the extreme and shoot him.

I mean he wasn't my favorite person but taking someone's life was not our right, but I knew that Mr. Smith and the rest of his people operated under a different set of rules.

The shouting seemed to get louder and before I could even think about it any longer, the door burst open and I saw several men in black with masks and big guns enter. I was able to make out the writing on their vest, S.W.A.T. and I blew a sigh of relief.

Kate's head shot up at that very moment with confusion written on her face, then realization hit that we were saved.

"Are you the only three down here? One of the men asked while glancing around the room.