Chapter 20

I just wanted to thank all my fans, silent readers and friends who have been reading, commenting, voting and supporting, truly blessed by the kind words shared. I hope I can continue to touch your lives with my words which comes from only one source; God. Enjoy!!!

****************************************************************************

Kate

A week has passed since Simone, Patrick and I have been rescued, I was released from the hospital three days ago and have been trying to regain the 15 lbs I lost while I was kidnapped.

When I first saw my reflection in the mirror I burst into tears because I didn't recognize the person looking back at me. The girl I saw was pale, frail and had lost the spark in her eyes, I was not that girl, it was me but I couldn't see me.

I was currently sitting in the hospital room watching Patrick sleep with the memories of my time locked up still very fresh in my mind and the toll it took on me both physically and mentally. I was trying so hard to piece my life back together, a life that I single handedly destroyed.

The police had come by when we first got to the hospital and had taken statements from both me and Simone. Patrick was unconscious and had to undergo two surgeries so he could not be questioned.

They asked a lot of questions about Mr. Smith and Nick, how I had gotten involved with them and how was Patrick involved with all this. But Simone and I had spoke before hand and had agreed to be as honest as possible without trying to hurt either me or Patrick too much.

She believed that I had gone through enough and didn't need to go to prison to realize the mistake I had made. We were going to say that the drugs she found; if it came up was Mr. Smith's own (which was true) and because of my profession I was easily targeted to move the drugs for him.

We also agreed to talk more about how Patrick tried his best to help Simone and I, how he got shot during that process and how he was a friend of mine.

I was really missing Simone right now, I had convinced her I would be fine and she had her career to look after. So she was currently in Atlanta on a conference. Chris and Eric both checked on me regularly.

My parents were at the Condo so often I was beginning to believe they had moved in. My mom was taking care of me, cooking, cleaning, washing, she was being, well mom. My dad tried to fix anything around the house and to be as useful as possible.

I guess when you are retired you have lots of free time, but I love them anyways and my mom's cooking was fattening me up rather quickly; so I was grateful.

Simone and Chris had cleaned up the apartment before I got home; they told me how much of a mess it was after Nick the tornado had passed through trying to find the drugs. I was shocked when I got home at how well they had put it back together.

The two of them made a pretty good team and the more I observed them, the more I became aware of a little tension, I mean something was going on. I could tell they were attracted to each other but they just skirted around it, which at times was a little awkward.

The first day I got home was the only day I was not at Patrick's hospital bed side. I was determined to be there for him; after all if it had not been for him trying to save me he wouldn't be lying there.

He had come to a few times, but he never spoke, just looked at me and smiled then drifted back off and would be out for hours at a time. I am not sure if it was the medication, loss of blood or the pain that was making him sleep but I was just happy he was alive.

I knew I was not going to be seeing Simone for about three weeks, give or take a couple of days. She was currently in Atlanta, then would come back home for a couple of days and then she and Chris were going to go visit her family. She had changed her flight to come home just to check on me.