Chapter 11

Kate

I sat shivering not only from the cold damp moldy floor but from fear itself, I was weak from hunger and in full on panic mood because I got the sense from Mr. Smith that they were going to go after Simone. I had begged and pleaded with him to leave her alone, that she knew nothing about what I had done. But he just smiled at me and told me that when someone causes him trouble he handles it.

I wasn't sure what handling it meant but I knew it wasn't going to be him offering Simone ice-cream and cake. I just kept on blaming myself, if I had not let my pride get in the way none of this would be happening. I wouldn't be locked up and Simone's life wouldn't be in danger.

I had to get out of here; I had to try and stop them from hurting my best-friend. Some friend I was, putting the one person besides my parents who has always been there for me, who I could confide in and count on, in danger. But I had been so burdensome lately that I didn't want to put more responsibility on her plate.

We had bought the condo together and I had to pull my weight, but I didn't think of the consequences of my actions, well I actually did but they were legal ones, being a paralegal I figured that if I did get caught, being that it was my first offense and since I knew some of the best lawyers I would get either a slap on the rest with community service or as little jail time as possible, that I could deal with. But this, this wasn't something I factored in.

I was going to escape! I just needed to keep my strength up, so that meant I would have to start eating the crap they were bringing me. I only ate when Patrick himself brought the food, but I had not seen him in three days. So I was brought watered down mash potatoes, with mashed beans and some sort of meat substitute.

I wondered why they stopped sending Patrick in, the last time we spoke he promised to tell me what Mr. Smith planned on doing with me and he really had looked sad about it, but since then I have not seen him.

I didn't know how I was going to do it but I knew I couldn't do it alone, I needed help, physical help for sure but right now I was so emotionally drained I didn't know where I was going to find the strength. I remembered a time sitting with Simone in Chris' home and him telling us about when he found God. I think he turned to God after things had gotten so bad between his mother and father, he needed Him and I think I do too.

I grew up in a loving and caring household, I was an only child and my parents did everything to make me happy. However, I wasn't spoiled, my dad always taught me the value of money and how hard work and doing something that you can be proud of felt. I loved them and didn't want to hurt or disappoint them; they must be worried out of their minds right now.

My parents and I are really close, I mean, we didn't go more than a couple of days without talking, I am especially close to my dad because I was a little tomboy growing up so we did all the sports and fishing things together, but mom is amazing too.

The one thing I can say is that while growing up they never pressured me into finding a religion or going to church or any of that, I remembered as a child my best friend would talk about Sunday school and I asked my mom about it, she told me that it was a type of service at church for children, they read stories and learned things about the bible and God.

Well of course that sounded great to me so when I asked if I could go, my parents said yes. I did have fun and I remembered singing and the teacher telling us a story but I don't ever remember going back, my dad and I were always off to some sporting event and doing something and I had more fun with him than any other person so I never went back to church.

But right now I was wishing I did, at least I would know how to pray or feel connected to something bigger than me. I pressed my back against the cage, drew my knees into my chest and wrapped my arms around my legs, then I raised my head tilting it back as if I were looking to the sky, "umm God? If you are listening I could really use your help right now." This was crazy I was talking to the roof but I felt as though I had run out of options.