12Chapter 8

Picture of Mr. Smith

*********************************************************************************************************

I watched Chris walk into the elevator before I closed my door, then I took a breath and turned around to look at the condo. I took shaky step inside, it felt so surreal being here right now after all that happened.

The different smells assaulted my senses making me feel at home but I was still on edge, this place held a lot of memories for me. Kate and I shared this home together, we had many good times and then this calm peaceful feeling came over me and our happy memories made me feel better.

I can't lie, I had a wonderful night, I felt so connected to the Church and God and welcomed there. I did feel strange talking to Chris about his date, don't get me wrong I was happy for him, he has been single for a while but deep down I knew I had feelings for him, feelings I would never bring to the fore front.

I sighed heavily and sat up, thinking to myself it was now or never; I picked up my house phone and dialed Eric's number, I knew by using that phone he would realize where I was and I wouldn't have to tell him that part, but I fully planned on defending my actions as to why I am home.

I was taken aback though when he answered, "Hi Simone," it's not the fact that he called my name but how calm and distant he was, I was prepared to argue and this threw me off.

"Hi ...hi, Eric." I kind of stuttered, "I was just calling to let you know that I plan on moving back home." I waited patiently for his next response.

"I kind of figured that out when I saw where you were calling from." He sounded so distant; it was hard to believe that this was my Eric.

I mean I knew we had a fight and all, but he has never been this cold before, it's as if he didn't even want to talk to me. "Well I will let you rest then," I said quickly trying to end this very painful conversation.

I was about to hang up the phone, "Umm Simone, please be careful," and there was my Eric, loving, caring, considerate, my heart practically melted.

"I promise I will be, and I will call you in the morning if that is alright?" I was a little worried at what his response would be.

"I look forward to hearing from you love." And just like that our fight was over and we were going to be just fine, I breathed out a sigh of relief, I was a little stressed out about the whole situation.

"Good night Simone and I do love you, you know that right?" before I could even respond to his question, he continued , "plus I am sorry for the way I acted earlier, I didn't mean to upset you."

"Yes Eric, I know that you love me, as do I besides we both said some harsh stuff and I am sorry as well, please forgive me?"

"I can't stay mad at you love, but we do need to talk about everything now that we are both calm, but get your rest and I will see you tomorrow."

With that being said, I hung up the phone and I sank back into the sofa and stared up at the ceiling with a smile on my face, I had had a wonderful night and now that things were fine between Eric and me, it was just the icing on the cake.

I stood up and walked to my bedroom, glancing over in the direction of Kate's room, I missed her so much, I changed directions and walked to her room, my hand instinctively raised up as though I was about to knock when I realized that that was just silly. I turned the door knob and reached my hand in flicking on the lights.

The smell of her perfume wafted into my nostrils and my eyes began to water. "Where are you Kate?" I all but whispered to myself. Glancing around her room I made my way to her bed, taking in the familiar sights, I had been in this room a hundred times, I even helped decorate.