Chapter 23

It's Sunday and I am sitting at the table watching Eric move around effortlessly taking out the plates and utensils and so forth. He told me he just wanted me to enjoy the day and he would do everything.

I knew this was his way of trying to make up for everything but our problems couldn't be solved with food or by him trying to do everything, we had to talk. This was serious and although I felt a little broken hearted I wasn't sure I was ready to give up on all the years we had spent together.

This is why we needed to talk but if he didn't sit down soon then it may never happen, I still had to get back home and finish packing for my trip tomorrow, I was nervous yet excited to see my mom and brother again.

Excited because I knew my mom would welcome me with open arms, nervous because I wasn't sure that my brother would. I have not spoken to him in a long time and I am not sure what mom has told him either.

"Eric, will you please sit down, it's not like your cooking the food it was delivered remember."

I was getting a little wary of the whole thing and was beginning to feel like he was trying to avoid the talk we needed to have. Can't say that I blamed him, he knew me well enough to know I was still a little ticked off about the whole situation.

"I know it was delivered, I just want everything to be perfect."

Perfect, why would he want everything to be perfect when it was far from that? Knowing him it would probably ease his mind and make him more comfortable talking this out so I sat back and waited until he was ready.

When he finally sat down, he smiled and we began to eat. I must say the food was incredible and boy did I have a great appreciation for good food. But it was now or never so I had to break the ice.

"Eric I know things have been tense but you know we need to talk about everything."

He looked up at me with guarded eyes and my heart went out to him, a minute ago he was happy and smiling now I saw sadness and if I wasn't mistaken a little fear.

"Simone, I know I did an incredibly stupid thing but it was honestly the biggest mistake of my life. If I could go back and relieve that day I would never have let myself get caught off guard that way."

I knew what he was saying was heartfelt, I could see it written all over his face, he was broken, this man in front of me was not the same confident man I once knew, he was nervous and a little shaky.

"When I told you what I did that day in your office I had never seen so much pain and hurt in your eyes and it practically killed me that I was the one causing it and not stopping it. Baby I am so sorry and am begging for your forgiveness and asking you not to turn your back on what we have worked so hard to build."

After he was finish speaking I saw his eyes tear up and then he lowered his gaze from mine, I could see he was hurting and I didn't want to cause him anymore pain.

"Eric, I do forgive you, I am not happy about what you did but I know we are all human and make mistakes. I am just not sure how to move forward from here, I am still hurting and the fact that my trust in you, in us has been broken is going to take a while to repair."

At my words I saw his head shoot up and a sparkle in his eyes, he smiled at me, not a big cocky grin but a sweet smile, which seemed to say thank you for saying that.

Before I could even say another word he stood up suddenly, "will you excuse me one moment please?"

I nodded my head and took a sip of my cranberry juice, I looked at my watch and knew that I would have to leave soon or I would never finish packing and get any rest before my trip. In less than a few minutes he was back in the room.