✕ S y s t e m F a i l u r e ✕

Marzia's PoV

As I left Jack's room I hurriedly walked to the front desk in search of Amy to see if she could help me search for Jack's friend. When I saw the recognisable wavy blonde hair of Amy sitting at the desk I quickened my pace.

"Hey Amy? Amy? Can I have you look up a name for me please?" I said quickly as I approached the desk.
"Uh sure M, who and why?" She said with a smile as she swivelled round to face her computer.
"A friend of a good friend. His name is Mark, I just need to see if he's in this hospital somewhere." I replied, bending down to match the height of Amy in her chair. I saw her hands tense up on the computer mouse as I said the name Mark.

"M-M-Mark? What's his second name and I'll search it up." Amy questioned rather cautiously.

"Fischbach. Why?" As soon as I said his second name she froze completely with only her fingers moving to type in the name.

M A R K F I S C H B A C H

She type the name but never hit enter.

"Amy? Sweetie? are you okay? Do-do you know who this Mark is?" I said cautiously, putting my arm around her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. That's when I realised she was crying.

"What happened? To him, I mean." She cried.

"He was involved in a collision with a truck two days ago, his friend Jack, was in the car as well." I could hear her sobbing quietly as I spoke.

"Oh God no. Wait, is Jack here?" She said through her tears.

"Yeh he-he's alive and talking. Still in a lot of pain but the surgeon said he'll make it. I was just talking to him, but no one has told him if Mark is okay so he made me go check the hospital system to see if he was here or not." I said as I stood up to take in everything that was going on.

"So Mark could be fine?" Amy said, her voice had a little bit of hope in it as she spoke.

"Yes Amy. He could be alright, even if he's not in this hospital he could be at St. Louis. We just have to keep our hopes up okay?" I spoke, trying to convince myself that this Mark was going to be okay. I didn't even know him but I really hoped he was fine. "Amy. You just have to press enter and we will have our answer, whether it's good or bad at least we'll know." I added on.

Amy was hesitant on hitting the button, her finger just hovering over it, slightly shaking as it did so.

"Amy. It's going to be okay, Mark's going to be okay. Just hit enter." I said soothingly.

She was still hesitant but a few seconds later she replied. "Okay." then hit the button.

I don't know what we were expecting to appear, a big sign that said "HE'S HERE AND FEELING FANTASTIC!"? I wasn't even expecting it to say he was in good condition, I just wanted it to say that he was here. What I wasn't expecting it to say was what the screen came up with:

N a m e C o u l d N o t B e F o u n d I n T h e S y s t e m.

There was a long, silent pause in the air when the black text appeared on the screen. I heard Amy sighed confusingly and it was followed by her frantically typing on the keyboard again, I looked up to the screen to see her typing his name into the box again.

N a m e C o u l d N o t B e F o u n d I n T h e S y s t e m.

"No. No. There must be something wrong, maybe I'm spelling his name wrong." Amy nervously laughed, as the same black text appeared in front of her.