✕ U n e x p e c t e d G u e s t ✕

Jack's PoV

I woke up to the, less than quite voices of two doctors chatting away at the end of my bed, one was holding a clipboard and the other had a bag of whatever liquids they were putting into me via the IV drip that was placed in my arm. I decided to pretend to remain asleep so I could listen to the conversation.

"Yes he should be well enough to go out by tomorrow but only as a test run, he will need someone to look after him and make sure he returns safely to the hospital before 6."

"Okay doctor but who will go with him? We're already lacking staff as it is as a lot of the nurses and doctors have gone to help at St. Louis."

"Get that nurse who already looks after him to go with him. I'm sure she won't mind and it's not like he's going to want to go very far anyways."

"Miss. Bisognin? Okay, I shall speak to her when she comes in. She wasn't in yesterday so I do hope she will be in tomorrow."

"Good good. Just make sure she is okay with pushing him in the wheelchair. That thing can be a real pain if you're going up a hill."

I continued to close my eyes until I heard one of them open the door and leave then I slowly opened them again. Standing next to my bed now was the doctor from earlier who was holding the bag of clear liquids, he was unscrewing the empty one from the pole it was hanging on.

"Ahh Mr. Mcloughlin good to see you awake before 12 today, I'm just changing the empty drip bag for this nice full one." The brown haired doctor said with a smile as he removed the empty bag and began screwing the tube into the new one.

"So what were you two saying about me and getting to leave tomorrow?" I questioned as I attempted to sit upright. The doctor turned and looked at me with a puzzled expression.

"Oh, you heard that? Well you won't be fully discharged, we are just going to see how you do in a wheelchair and if that isn't too painful for you then we can have a talk about discharging you in the next few days. You will need to have a nurse go with you tomorrow, just as a safety precaution." he then began to walk towards the door.

"Oh that's good I suppose," I replied with a half-smile, the doctor then nodded his head and left the room.

I couldn't wait to get out of this place. If I could be let out tomorrow then that meant I could go and see Mark at St. Louis, or where he was. I was getting so lonely being stuck in this room on my own and it didn't help that no one came to see me yesterday, not even Marzia who said she'd come visit when she last saw me. I spent all of yesterday just staring at a newspaper with a month old crossword in it that had already been half done. It had also been made apparent to me as I looked at the clear bag of fluids dangling, that the painkillers that usually could be pumped into me with the push of a button had been replaced with a hydrating type of substance. Guess the hospital didn't think I was in enough pain anymore to be given the luxury of painkillers.

I sat on my bed staring out the window at the gray skies above wondering if Marzia would come in and visit me today. If she didn't come in today would that mean someone else would have to take me out tomorrow? I really didn't want anyone other than Marzia to take me because what's if the other nurse didn't want to take me all the way across the city to St. Louis to see Mark?
As I was lost in thought I didn't hear the sounds of the door open and someone coming in. I almost leaped out of the bed in fright when I felt someone gently tap me on the shoulder.

"What the- Signe what are you doing here?" my voice shaking from the fright I got and the surprise that Signe was actually here. In America.

"Gia called me the other day and she told me everything that had happened, the minute she told me you were in the hospital I booked the first flight I could. Gia said she couldn't face you and tell you about Mark." Signe smiled as she sat down on the edge of the bed and hugged me. It was nice to see a friendly face.