Chapter 17: The Devil

Salaam everyone... How are you all??? Here is the next chapter...

Happy Reading...

~~~~~

Pure love and suspicion cannot dwell together: at the door where the latter enters, the former makes its exit.

-Alexander Dumas.

~~~~~

The next day dawn came earlier than she anticipated. Radhika has grown to like the weight of her husband on her and his hand snaking around her waist as if he is protecting her from unknown demons. The only truth he did not know is she is actually haunted by the demons-- demons of her past to be accurate. How can she sleep a wink with all those things that are playing in her mind!! The slight stirring of her husband beside her brought her back from the reverie. She should stop this, stop being lost in her thoughts or else one day Arjun will definitely doubt her. Will he? She doesn't think so, but there is always a random doubt nagging at the back of her mind saying that Arjun will not believe her truly. She should come clean after what has happened. She should not let herself fall weak when she should be the strongest. That's the only force that should be driving her forward to achieve whatever she has come to this town for.

Both Arjun and Radhika were ready in no time for their work, given the amount of work they have to do and the accuracy they require at their workplaces. Who would have thought such a pair of lazy idiots can be ready for their work in such a short time!! Guess, Mr. Bill Gates was right about his statement of giving work to lazy fellows to finish it off quickly.

Pawan came home handful with good breakfast and in addition to that his brightest smile ever. They were seated on the dining table and Pawan noticed a peculiar silence between Arjun and Radhika. Normally they both are street dogs fighting for a piece of meat. What happened today that they both are as silent as a sea!! He has to find that out or else he cannot sleep or eat today at that. When he was about to ask what is the matter, he saw a mark on Arjun's lips. From the distance, it looked like someone has bitten him. But who has that dare to bite the lip of his friend, huh?

'Arjun! What happened to your lip?' asked Pawan and didn't get to see the reaction of Radhika when she straightened in her chair because he was watching Arjun.

After a moment of considering answering the question or not, Arjun finally said...

'Ah! An insect bit me.' Said Arjun analyzing his lower lip by dragging it to the front holding it between his forefinger and thumb.

Radhika took a sigh of relief and breathed normally when she heard those words from Arjun. But wait! Did he call her an insect? Not happening, it is absolutely not happening. And she will not tolerate her husband calling her an insect. She is not an insect. If he called her insect, she is better off a bee rather than any insect so that she can buzz constantly in his ears. And so, without giving a further thought, she blurted out "I am not an insect" and clapped her mouth shut with both her hands realizing her mistake. Mr. Spoon will not leave this so easily.

Arjun had that smug smile on his face stating he won by getting a response from her because she was awfully silent this morning when he tried to talk something to her. And now he did what he does best. Incite her anger and bring her to the edge of breaking someone's head. She so mightily tried not to wipe off that smile from his face with her hands. That proved to be hardest not to touch him when only hours ago she touched him as his wife. That brought a beautiful blush to her face and she had to look away from Arjun who is watching her with an intensity to make her go screaming in another direction. She kicked his leg under the table and the oaf he is was still smiling at their antics. She should drown in a spoonful of water.