❀ thirteen ❀

Lilly's POV

It seems like every time I wake up, I'm in a new place. Today, I was in a hospital bed. I sat straight up, memories from earlier reoccuring. My head was pounding, and there was a bunch of wires connected to my arms.

A doctor walked in, and he looked shocked to see me awake. "Oh, hello. I didn't think you'd be up so soon." The doctor said. I didn't know how to reply, so I just sat there, staring at him. He cleared his throat and continued to speak to me.

"Well, I think I should go inform your boyfriend that you're awake." My heart instantly raced at the mention of Luke. I ruffled my hands through my hair, trying to make myself look decent. But when Ashton walked in, I felt myself slouch down back into my seat.

"Nice to see you too, Lilly." He chuckled softly as he fixed his parted hair and pushed it to the side. One of the things I found out about Ashton is that he never failed to crack up a joke, even the worst situations. "Don't worry, Luke is here too. He just wasn't ready to see you yet." Ashton said.

"Why wasn't he ready?" I questioned, assuming he would be one of the people who wanted to see me the most.

"He said he didn't want to see all the pain he caused you." My heart sank and I just wanted to hug Luke and assure him it wasn't all because of him. I instantly remembered every single detail of last night, my mouth parting slightly.

"Michael.. Francesca.." I choked out, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes once again.

Ashton stiffened at the mention of the topic, his features hardening. He pursed his lips, as if the topic was too dangerous to talk about, but slowly opened his mouth to speak.

"Before you say anything, this is all from the police and their sources. I just got a call from Calum at like 5 in the morning. He was a witness of everything." I nodded, signaling him to continue.

"Francesca walked off on Michael and left his house because of an argument, at least that's the theory. Then Calum told me this part. Francesca was ahead of him, and he tried to chase after her. Then, both of them were hit by a drunk driver in the middle of the street." He said as he stared at his hands. I didn't even bother to ask why Calum was there, he was probably leaving a club fucking around with another girl, cheating on Alexa like he did with me. It hadn't clicked in my mind that both of my bestest friends were gone, and I would never see them. I hadn't even got the chance to talk to them over the past few weeks, I had been too busy sulking over Luke that I didn't notice I had blocked everyone out of my life.

I sighed and told Ashton how I felt, and he understandingly nodded after my rant. Awkward silence filled the room, and I guess he noticed too, because he stood up and walked towards the door.

"You can get through this." He said as he exited the door, leaving me there.

Soon after, the door clicked open. The doctor from earlier walked in with a clipboard in his hand and a worried expression on his face.

"I'm sorry to inform you that we have some bad news. You have to be under patrol for a few days."

"What? Am I really considered that crazy?" I spat out, knowing it wasn't his fault. I knew they had a trial over my situation, I had taken an interest in medical school when I was 15, but soon dropped the idea.

"You're not crazy," He paused, emphasizing the word crazy. "They just can't trust you to be alone yet. It's for the best, to make sure you're stable enough to be on your own again."

I scoffed and looked at the wristband around my wrist, reading the label.

Mentally ill

"How are they going to crash at my house for those damned days?" I questioned.

"They aren't staying at your house, you'll just stay at the hospital for a day or two. It's not that bad, miss."

"Get the fuck out." I said as I rubbed my temples. I was pissed off that they thought I was incapable of taking care of myself, but deep down inside I knew this is what I needed.

My deep thought was interrupted by a loud knock at the door, and I flopped down on my bed, not really giving a shit who walked through the door. I closed my eyes and waited for the person to say anything.

"Dammit, they told me you were awake." I heard Luke mutter as he shuffled over to me. I didn't open my eyes yet, but he started speaking to me.

"Lilly, oh gosh. What have I done to you." He whispered, his face dangerously close to mine. He took his hand and stroked my hair out of my face, not saying a word.

"I read your letters to me, baby. I read them all, I even read the one from today. That one probably hurt me the most. I listened to your voice-mails too, I sent one back, but I didn't know you had tried to do this." He said, and I felt a tear fall on my cheek. I tried not to flinch as he sniffled, and I could still feel his eyes piercing into me.

"I want to apologize to you for being a stubborn and bipolar asshole, it's just who I am. I know you said this isn't me, but it is. I want to thank you for sticking by me through all my asshole moments, which happen frequently." He said as he kissed my cheek.

"I also want to apologize for turning you into something you weren't supposed to become." He took my wrist in his hand and read the wristband laced around me. "See, they labeled you as mentally ill. This is all because of me. I hate myself so much, Lil. I'm such a fuck up." He shed a couple more tears, then paused.

"I need to stop crying, this is unhealthy for the average teenage boy." He laughed.

"You aren't the average teenage boy, though." I smiled at him. His eyes widened and he wiped the remainder of his tears.

"Lilly? I'm probably dreaming." He said, shocked. His face was still close to mine as he leaned down, so I did the only thing I could think of to prove to him he wasn't dreaming. I stuck out my tongue and licked his face.

He laughed, a genuine laugh, and kissed me on the lips. I kissed back, but pulled away shortly after.

"People would be weirded out finding two teenagers making out in a hospital room." I said to him and laughed.

"We aren't normal though, so it's acceptable." He said and laughed along with me.

Silence filled the room and I took this as my chance to tell him. "I have to stay in the hospital for two more days." His smile disappeared from his face and he sighed.

"Did you hear about Francesca and Michael..?" He faintly said, afraid the topic would cause me to break down.

I nodded and felt tears brim at the corners of my eyes. I just took him into my arms and hugged him tightly, he was the only source of positivity in my life at the moment, and I didn't want to lose him.

He hugged back, tighter, and pressed his chin on my head, and said a single sentence that made my heart flutter.

"It's okay. We'll be okay."