❀ twenty ❀

Lilly's POV

My phone blasted the song "I Miss You," by Blink-182 as I awoke from my sleep. Next to me was Luke, who was fast asleep. I realized it was Monday and shook Luke, yelling at him to wake up. It was in the middle of March, and Spring Break would be coming in the next week. Luke groaned and covered his head with a pillow, stretching his body out, occupying the whole bed.

"There's only one more week of school, let's just skip it." Luke mumbled into his pillow as he grabbed my wrist to lay down next to him. I sighed and agreed, not wanting to argue with him then end up going to school alone. Even though the conversation about what has happened in the past months had died down, people still would stare at me in the halls as if I was going to pull out a knife and slit their throats out on the spot. I turned my back against him and checked my phone, the brightness nearly blinding me.

"Ashton: iMessage." The notification read. Why would Ashton text me at seven in the morning? I knew he already had finished school, but why was he even awake? I slid the notification on the screen, then looked at the text.

Meet me at the coffee shop, it's urgent.

He didn't put a specific time, so I assumed he was already waiting. I hopped out of bed and dug inside my duffel bag for a pair of yoga pants and a loose shirt. Finding what I needed, I threw them on, not caring if Luke woke up at the moment and saw me half naked. I didn't bother to put any other make-up besides mascara, praying it was waterproof. 

After I was ready, I descended down the stairs and found nobody was awake at this time, so I quietly slipped through the door and walked down the cold street. The breeze hit my face, feeling like I got slapped. I stopped and saw a puddle, and went around it. As I went around, I saw my reflection. I had gotten skinnier, paler, and my face was lifeless. The image of my reflection stained inside my head, I kept walking in silence. I was sure Luke wouldn't wake up for another hour, because if he did, he would panic that I was gone. He would think I left him. 

I reached for the glass doors leading to inside the coffee shop, the infamous coffee shop which held so many of my memories. My eyes skimmed for Ashton, and found his face buried into his phone. I approached the table, causing him to look up. He had bags under his eyes, and his hair was flat on his head, unlike usual. He usually looked lively and perky, even in the worst situations. There was something off about him, but I couldn't tell. 

"Hello," He greeted me. "Sit down." He even sounded tired, and I instantly felt bad for whatever he went through. I noticed there was an extra seat next to him, but didn't over think. Ashley was probably going to meet up with him here after he told me whatever he needed to.

"I've been having trouble sleeping. I haven't slept properly since three days after the funeral." He confessed to me with his eyes widening at his words. He slowly breathed and looked at me, waiting for me to say something.

"Ashton, I know it's hard to deal with the fact that they're--" 

"Don't say it," He held up a hand to ask me to stop. I dropped the subject and let him keep talking. "I was going to ask you if you wanted to come join the support group I signed up for. It's only an hour a day, and it takes place in this small room inside a church at seven every other day." He told me, his features changing from stressed to scared. He was scared, scared of reality. I felt bad for him, I really did. Under all his happiness, he was broken. He was hurt and tired. Just like me. 

I nodded and agreed, not being the least hesitant. He faintly smiled and stirred his coffee, taking small sips as I continued to stare at him.

"Ashton?" I asked.

"Hmm?" 

"Why didn't you just text me all of this?" I questioned, earning a laugh from him, which caused me to laugh as well. After all, the saddest people laugh the most.

* * * 

Once I reached Luke's house, I walked up the stairs, and found him sitting there strumming his guitar. He noticed I had returned and dropped his guitar. I walked over to him and put the guitar back in the corner where I had always saw it, perched there. 

"Where were you?" Luke asked me. He still had his morning voice, which was incredibly attractive to me. 

"I went to the coffee shop to meet up with Ashton, he told me about this support group. You know, like the one in The Fault In Our Stars, except this time it's for people with all types of problems." I smiled at him.

"I thought you left me when I first woke up, but then I realized you wouldn't leave me." He admitted, his head dropping to the pillow beneath him. I plopped down next to him, copying his position. 

"And why is that, Lucas?"

"We both need each other equally, so why leave in the time that we need each other the most? It makes no sense, Lilly. Besides, people who are in love with each other don't leave the other behind. I think that's the best thing about being in love with you." Luke told me as he took a strand of my hair and twirled it on his index finger, examining it. 

"No, wait. I change my mind. I think the best thing about being in love with you is getting to wake up next to you and thinking how much I went through to get you. I finally got you, and it feels great. It feels great to be in love with someone. It feels great to be in love with you." Luke finished his little speech, and I blushed.

"But the second best thing is probably that I get to see your boobs whenever I want to." He laughed into my ear as I smacked his head, laughing along with him. 

A/N: short chapter agh

wow this is a shitty chapter more like a ummm

filler chapter?? idk im v confused

shoutout to esther aka where i got the luke_is_a_lesbian thing omg

also whAT OMG 14K READS ALREADY HOW DID THAT HAPPEN

thank you so much for sticking by this story and reading it. thank you for voting and leaving nice and positive comments, it means a looootttt :D

im going to update later tonight, so double update today

P.S. your reactions to me pretending the story was over was probably one of the best things i have seen, tis true ily