Chapter Nine

The dinner with Kay was awkward and uncomfortable enough.

Earlier on, Kay called Michael and said she loved him and expected a reply back. Michael, however, for some reason couldn't say it back. He couldn't make himself say it. He just couldn't. Even though he tried, the words wouldn't come out of his mouth.

The two sat in uncomfortable silence while Kay watched Michael eat uncomfortably. As Michael finished his food, he wiped his hands on the napkin and in his mind all he could think about was that he couldn't do it.

He just couldn't.

"I have to go, Kay.." Earlier when Kay called him, instead of saying 'Hello, Kay?' like he usually did, waiting for her calls- he said 'Hello, Fay?'. But she didn't say anything about it until now

"Is this about Fay...?" Kay said stubbornly while her gaze was fixed on her wine. Michael stopped himself from getting up and slowly met her eyes. At his silence, Kay took that as a yes. "W-What did I do wrong.." Kay wondered with a small, fragile smile on her face, her eyes were now teary.

"Go back to New Hampshire..." Michael said, getting up and putting on his coat. Kay was silent, her fingers were playing with her wine glass, tears were threatening to spill but she didn't let it. "I'm sorry Kay..." Michael said gently. Michael, did not feel any regret or any negative feelings towards his decision. What he felt was right and he couldn't push that feeling away.

Michael stood up and walked around Kay, only to stop and press on her shoulder and kiss the top of her head before leaving her.

"Fredo...?" Fiona was worried about Fredo's wellbeing since the incident happened. As Vito was buying oranges, they gunned him down and Fredo failed to protect his father- he dropped the gun on the floor and watched the two men shoot his old man.

Fiona knew it wasn't Fredo's fault and didn't blame him- but Fredo was constantly blaming himself over and over again.

Fiona entered the room only to see a slouching Fredo sitting on the edge of the bed, his head between his palms. She slowly sat down beside him, and the pressure of Fiona beside him on the bed snapped him out of it.

He looked her in the eyes and even when he faked a small smile, it was obvious how broken up he was. Fiona placed her hand on Fredo's shoulder. "Its not your fault Fredo.."

"I was useless, I couldn't do anything to help him." Fredo took in a deep breath and sighed loudly. Fiona didn't know what else to say to comfort him so they sat in silence instead.

Until Fredo decided to speak up.

"I know I'm not the muscle of the family- but I could've done something." He sighed again, rubbing his temples.

"Look Fredo, you couldn't do anything to stop it...it already happened you can't change the past but you can be by your father's side right now. You regretting your actions won't save him, do you understand?" Fiona didn't want to lie to Fredo, she believed that being straight forward with him was the only way.

Fredo sighed again as he nodded, he looked Fiona in the eyes and didn't break eye contact.

Fredo leaned in closer to Fiona, his gaze left her eyes and traveled to her lips. He leaned in closer to kiss her but Fiona backed away.

"I-I'm sorry Fredo..." Fiona said avoiding to look at him. "I can't.." She said almost in a whisper. ​

"I know. Its my fault." Fredo sighed yet again, backing away from Fiona. "Thank you for understanding Fredo..."

"C-Can I ask you something? Is it- Is it because of Michael?" Fiona flinched at the question and tugged her hair behind her ear and instantly Fredo knew he was right.

"It is isn't?"

"I-I don't know.." Fredo doubted her answer.

Then, the two sat in awkward silence. Fredo didn't know what to say from there and Fiona didn't know whether to leave him be.