Chapter Thirty Nine

In the span of 7 months, Michael kept his daily ritual of kissing Fiona on the forehead every morning and every night, the two will huddle up together in their bed enjoying each other's company as they began to feel that other people exhausted them more often than they should.

Their room became a sanctuary for the two, peace, quiet, nurturing or whatever they wanted it to be. The four walls kept them safe in each other's embrace and whatever needed to be said could be said without any fear.

Michael who was resting his head against the headboard watched his wife lay down next to him, curling her arm to link with his. He noticed how exhausted his wife was as she tried stretching her legs discreetly and stifle a yawn, "papa and Tom made you work again?"

"Well, I wanted to do it." Fiona managed to say thru her second upcoming yawn.

Michael's fingers ran thru her hair as his eyes focused on his wife's belly. Over the months it grew larger- Connie and Sandra said that it was rather too big as their own bellies did not grow this large when they were pregnant themselves. But he didn't think it was that big. Their doctor reassured that there was a baby in there and that it was healthy- nothing to worry about.

"What do you think it is?" Michael scooted and laid down to face his wife as he placed his warm palm against her stomach, gently rubbing a part of her skin with his thumb.

"Hmm?"

"The baby, do you think it's a boy?"

Fiona's eyes flickered to her husband's dark orbs, "does it matter if it's a boy?"

Fiona and Michael decided to not reveal the gender as they wanted to wait, despite what everyone thought in the family.

Fiona scoffed lightly at Michael's silence and this time it was her turn to run her finger thru his dark hair, "I already know what you're thinking, darling. You're thinking about our boy taking care of the family business. Does it matter if it's a boy or a girl, Michael? Look at me, I've been in my father's business and now I'm in your father's business. I'm doing just fine. It doesn't matter what you are, it just matters if you got it in you."

Fiona said with a smile that tugged at the corner of her lips slightly, "it doesn't matter if it's a girl or a boy. In the end, they'll run the family business just fine."

Michael laced his fingers with Fiona's as he continued to listen intently, "boy or girl Michael, you and I'll love 'em just the same."

Michael's thumb brushed his wife's rosy lip as he noticed how drowsy she was getting, "you're right, Fay."

"I know I am." Michael chuckled at his wife's confidence while her eyes began to droop and before he managed to say I love you sweetheart, his wife was lightly snoring, curled up in his arms.

Few weeks later, Fredo made it back to the Corleone household to report back to Don about the casino business that Fredo was in charge of, and the first person he saw in months was Fiona herself.

She was sat out in the front garden taking a little walk as Vito's cat pawed at her feet once in awhile and curling between her legs for attention.

"Fredo!" When Fredo popped out of the car, Fiona took notice of him and waved. At the sight of her, the man was startled.

She looked so different. And pregnant.

"F-Fiona.." The man managed to utter as he approached the woman- trying his best to conceal his shock with laughter and smiles.

"You look so...you look so...different a-and so-"

"Pregnant?" Fiona laughed at her own comment as she embraced the man in a 'welcome back' hug.

"Yes! That! Congratulations!" Fredo laughed nervously.

Not only did she have a big bump, Fiona cut her hair too. "Your hair, what happened?" Fredo remembered how her hair reached her lower back in beautiful waves that smelled either of coconut or berries.

"I got tired of taking care of it, it felt much heavier on my head. I think it's the pregnancy-"  Fiona's hair now reached her shoulders, but nevertheless, she still looked stunning to the man.

"C'mon, enough about me. Let's get you inside, your father is expecting you anyway." Fredo not only noticed the hair but noticed that she was voluntarily wearing a dress for no special occasion, but he only assumed it was for her comfort.

As Fiona guided him in the house, Michael was watching them from his bedroom window. The surprise look on Fredo's face as he saw Fiona, he'll never forget.