Chapter Ten

Fiona was always in and out of the house trying to assist mrs Corleone with whatever she could help with. The last two days seemed to be very hard on mrs Corleone who didn't have her husband around like the usual.

Fiona noticed that even though the Corleone couple did not really show their love publicly, they certainly showed each other how much they adored each other in private. One time, Fiona accidentally passed by only to see Vito kissing his wife's hand, sitting beside his wife and his wife laying her head on his chest- while he protectively wrapped his arm around her.

However, mrs Corleone noticed that Michael was visiting the house more and would hang around around Fiona the most. Of course, she noticed the attraction between the two and all. But she never opposed the idea of two of them being together- in her eyes, Fiona was pure, a diamond that not everyone could hold.

Fiona was perfect for Michael, and so was he.

As Fiona was washing the dishes, while mrs Corleone was in her room, Michael entered the kitchen only to stop at the doorway and watch Fiona. She hummed to herself quietly, moving her other injured arm slower than the other- lifting it slowly too.

His knocking on the door to get her attention startled her. "Mikey, you scared me." She said, the wet plate almost slipping from her hands. "Sorry." He said with a mischievous smile as he took off his coat.

"Your mother is upstairs in her bedroom- I'm afraid she's resting though, maybe try staying till evening then you could probably see her?"

Michael made his way to Fiona, rolling up his sleeves.

"I actually..came here to see you." He said from beside her with his usual gentle tone.

"Oh." Fiona didn't know what else to say.

"Here let me help you." Michael grabbed the plate from her hand to dry, but she resisted.

"Michael its alright, I'll do it! I'll make you some coffee, go sit down."

Michael looked her in the eyes, placing his hand on hers. "Let me help you." He said again.

Without another word from Fiona, he took the plate and dried it with the towel.

Carmela was worried sick about Vito since he was at the hospital and not at home where he belongs, her nap- that Fiona suggested her to take- made her feel even more restless.

She got out of bed and made her way downstairs slowly towards the kitchen.

Before she entered the kitchen, she immediately stopped at the sight of Fiona and Michael. The scene in front of her made her smile, her smile was so wide it felt like it would rip the corners of her mouth.

Initially, she guessed that Michael gave a hand to Fiona with the dishes- but now they were running around each other, splashing water.

She quickly disappeared upstairs to her room before the two would notice her presence- she did not want to interrupt their moment.

As she laid on her bed- her eyes traveled to where Vito would sleep. His side of the bed, beside her.

She shut her eyes tight and her heart started to ache. She missed him. She started to pray for his return till she fell asleep.

After Michael and Fiona were done play fighting, Michael made sure to check her wound that she got few weeks ago.

"Well, it looks better than the last time." He said while cleaning it. As he cleaned it with alcohol, Fiona flinched.

"Do you...do you wanna go out for lunch?" Michael took Fiona by surprise.

A smile grew on Fiona's face. "Of course."