Chapter Twelve

Fiona stood beside Michael as he was sitting down, holding an ice pack to his swollen cheek. Fiona's mind was completely blank and she didn't know what to think about or what to even start thinking about.

She didn't know where to begin.

The thing about Fiona, that her brother reminds her often about, is that she would always worry more about the person she deeply cares about- she'd always put them first before herself.

Fiona brushed her brother off every time he'd say that, but it made Roberto more worried about Fiona because he knew there will come a time where she couldn't be patient anymore, she wouldn't be able to carry anymore of the world's weight on her shoulders. She wouldn't be able to tolerate anymore bullshit.

How long will her patients take? When will she burst? Will she ever? Roberto always questioned himself those particular questions about his sister but he always ended up pushing those questions away because he knew, deep down, his sister was a lion. She was strong.

But then, the doubt would resurface and a thought would come to his mind: Even the strongest of people would fall.

Although, like his mother would always tell him when he felt down- inspired by a poet that he did not expect his mother to fall in love with his sayings- "the wound is the place where the light enters you."

Roberto always kept that quote in mind when it came to his sister, he shouldn't even doubt her. He knew, even when she was broken, she was strong enough. 

It was always a constant conflict to Roberto whenever he thought of his sister. A conflict that would never stop till the day he dies.

Michael looked up to Fiona who was still holding the home made ice pack to his cheek, he waited for her to look back but he knew she wouldn't.

Her body was there in the room with him but her mind was somewhere else. He tried getting her attention but he couldn't.

How could he get her attention when Sonny was pestering him? Sonny thought that Michael wanted "revenge" and thought silly of it.

Michael placed his hand on hers gently and she jumped slightly at his touch. Her eyes met his and there was a questioning look on his face, he tried to communicate to her if she was okay.

Fiona gave a small smile and nodded her head, she showed that she was well.

But Michael saw past that.

He squeezed her hand and gently put her hand down to take over the ice pack- he didn't want her hand to tire, it was her injured arm anyway.

Fiona's eyes kept darting the room, avoiding  eye contact with anyone in the office. She used her fingers as a distraction as she played with them. Until the words that came out of Michael's mouth caught her attention. In fact, it caught everyone's attention. Indeed it did.

"Its not personal, Sonny. Its strictly business." Then, Fiona instantly knew that at that moment, everything within the family would be taking a completely different turn.

Sonny took a moment, just looking at Michael. Fiona saw approval in Sonny's eyes that she didn't see before.

"Alright, Fiona will assist you in what you'll be needing for the dinner." Sonny said, a small growing smirk on Sonny's face as he looked over at Fiona.

Fiona worked on a gun for Michael to use during dinner in a small basement like room, she wanted it perfect so it wouldn't bother Michael or jeopardize him.

She was focused on working on the weapon that she didn't notice Michael was at the doorway.

Michael watched her working in a small humid room that seemed very claustrophobic. He felt that it was awkward just watching her without her knowing.

"You alright?" Michael knocked on the door and leaned against the table beside her. "I'm well. Your gun is ready." She said standing up and handing the gun to him.

"Now, I want you to try it- I modified it in some ways, I made it in a way where the gun won't hold your fingerprints when you touch it-" As Fiona was telling him about the gun, Michael noticed her dark eye bags, he noticed how tired she looked.

"Have you been sleeping lately?" He asked in a whisper that sent shivers down Fiona's back.

"O-of course I have- now come on I want you try the gun." She immediately brushed him off and Michael did not want to force a response out of her.

"So, what do you do after you're done?" Fiona was impressed by Michael's aim as she watched him use the wall as a target.

"I sit down and finish my food." Fiona chuckled at Michael's comment.

"A better option is- drop the gun and walk away, don't make any eye contact with anyone. Got it?" Michael nodded.

"Alright, you're good to go then." Fiona said with a smile and sat down on the table.

A comfortable silence was shared between them until Michael decided to know more about her past, her family.

"Fiona? I know you have five brothers...but why is it only you and Roberto now?" He sat gently beside her.

"Mussolini. Benito Mussolini, thats why. My brothers were all part of the socialist party and Mussolini wanted to get rid of them. So, his squarde d' aziorie assassinated them." Instantly, Michael regretted asking her. "I-I'm sorry." Was all he could say.

Fiona shrugged. "Its alright, I didn't really know them, Rob and I were too young anyway."

"So..how's Kay doing?" Michael completely forgot about Kay, he did not even bother thinking of her once he left her so coldly which he admitted to himself was cruel.

"I wouldn't know." Fiona was confused by his answer until he clarified. "We're no longer together." He said looking at her, their personal space no longer existing- their shoulders touching, their thighs too.

Before Fiona could say anything, there was a knock on the door and Roberto appeared.

There was a smile on his face as he approached them, he kissed his sister on her forehead and squeezed her shoulders. "Lil' sis. Mikey." He greeted Fiona and Michael.

"I'm heading out, is it alright if you send Fay home safely Mikey?" At Rob's question, a smile grew on Michael's face.

"Of course."