Chapter 6: I need a Volunteer

CHAPTER SIX: I NEED A VOLUNTEER

~Heath~

It took much more longer than I expected to reach Riverton. We'd been riding the whole day, the horses were running as fast as they could from the guards chasing us. Because of the guards, we needed to use some time to get them lost. Maybe it was a good thing Rosie and I used to go exploring in the forests. By the time we grew up, we'd memorize the whole place and the routes we were supposed to take. 

After almost two hours of letting the guards chase us around the forest, we finally let them rest and ran off with our horses. By the time we were back on track again, it was in the afternoon. So we took a break and ate the snacks that Richard prepared for us. Speaking of Richard, I wondered how that poor guy is doing right now. Usually if you couldn't give the guards the information they needed or they didn't need your services anymore, they secretly beat you up without the king and queen knowing and get lost. 

It was part of why I wanted to steal Daisy and Donald instead of getting Richard's permission. But how did the guards know we were at Richard's? 

That just didn't make any sense! We haven't seen Richard for a long time and we were extremely careful to not let the town folks see our faces. Does that mean I dyed my hair for no purpose at all? 

Anyways, back to the present time. 

After lunch, Rosie and I continued our journey. It was three in the afternoon when we reached Riverton. Rosie was sleeping on her horse, so I took over her reigns and my own ones. Rosie needed her sleep, it was my fault that she didn't get enough sleep last night. We'd spent our whole night searching for a place to rest that I'd forgotten that she needed rest. Plus it was her time of the month, she didn't need to tell me for me to know. 

She kept clutching onto her stomach. Sometimes I wonder how girls could still walk in that kind of pain. If the pain was as painful as how they described it, how could they still walk? Or in Rosie's case, how could she still run away with me, ride a horse, and not complain even once about the pain? 

Conclusion? Girls are strange species that boys just couldn't understand. 

"Heath..." I grimaced. I hated it when she say my name with such a gentle tone. What did I do to get her kindness? I didn't deserve her kindness. I had been mean to her since we were kids, I even scolded her when she stood up for me years ago when Brian beated me up. 

"Rosie, you awake?" I shook her shoulders. Her eyes fluttered open and her eyes landed on me. 

"What time is it?" 

"Three in the evening." 

She stretched her arms and a smile appeared across her face. "Riverton!" She pointed at the few buildings in front of us. Riverton reminded me of the home that we'd just ran away from. How could I have abandoned my duties just like that? 

"We'll search the streets for Brian's brother, Eric. He said Eric is a street magician." 

"Then I guess it's good that I bought a few disguises for us back at the market." She grinned, taking out a piece of fabric. "Say, Prince Heath, how would you like to be a street performer for a day?" 

~~~

"Come on out, Heath!" She begged. I hated it when she begs...

I sighed and appeared from behind the horse. Rosie forced me to wear a ridiculous magician's attire. She must've bought the costumes from a costume stall. She gasped as she took in my appearance. "Do I look that bad?" I narrowed my eyes at her. 

"No, no. You look...nice." A stupid smile appeared on her face. Ever since we were younger, she had that smile on whenever I did something. Or didn't do something. 

I rolled my eyes and finally look at what she wore. A light blue fabric covered her body from neck to toe. There was a veil on her head but she didn't wore any make-up like the other street performers did. She was...natural. 

"Do I look okay?" 

"Sure, whatever." I waved her off. 

"Let's go hunt down Mr Magician." She chirped. As we slowly emerged from the shadows of the alley and into the streets, I was careful to let my hat shadow my face. Unfortunately, there was a mini-parade that day so there were many people walking around. Rosie gave me an excited look before doing her 'job'. She danced around people, pulling three people at a time to join her in a dance. Many people took in her beautiful appearance, both men and women started to dance with her. 

"Rosie!" I shouted over the crowd. She smiled at me and pulled me too. 

"Come on, Heath. Dance! We'll get enough attention till Eric shows up too!" She grinned and started pulling me around, forcing me to dance. I just stood there, staring at her as she twirled around, making her dress float up a bit. 

The way she dances, like a child, so carefree. Like nothing in the world could stop her from dancing so happily. 

"Who dares to steal my show?!" I heard someone shouted. Everyone stopped, including Rosie. She stared at the black-suited man who walked towards the both of us. He looked amused when he saw the both of us. 

"Eric?" Rosie spoke up. 

"Yes, that would be me. For my next act, I'll make the both of you, disappear!"