Chapter 5: May I please...?

*Rosie* 

The pain was lingering on the spot where I had been shot. I didn't know how long I was out after Terrance attempted a small surgery in the car for me. But when I was back to being conscious, the sunlight was shining on my face and I realized I was resting in the backseat of the car. Heath and Tasha were both looking at me with worried expressions and so were Autumn and Terrance. 

"Feeling better, Agent Cross?" Autumn asked me as she checked my face and relaxed when I didn't show any signs of being in pain. Terrance must've injected me with some kind of painkiller because the pain wasn't as painful like before. From I what I've gathered from the other agents that worked with me, getting shot was extremely painful. 

I'm much better than a few hours ago, I'm sure of that." I told the four of them. 

"Well, we can't have you guarding Heath at that condition." 

"I know where we could go." I said. 

~~

After giving Terrance the directions to the place I had in mind, the car finally stopped at the destination and I smiled. We arrived Olivia's village. It was a village next to Olive River. My family had been here a couple of times to spend our holidays. Dad once said that we needed to get away from technology and live a life without it. 

Heath glanced at me with a 'Are you serious?' look on his face. I raised an eyebrow at him and used all my strength to get out from the car. The pain was coming back but I kept it to myself and not show it to the others. All they would do was panic and giving me another shot of painkillers. And honestly, I don't think an overdose of painkillers were healthy. 

"Rosie, are you sure about this? Olivia's?" Terrance appeared behind me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I folded my arms and tilted my head a bit. 

"Well, it's better than living in a car until I get better, right?" Terrance only sighed and gave me a tiny smile. I knew why Terrance was so reluctant to go along with this idea. Two months ago, Autumn wanted all the agents to be trained to live in a situation where technology wasn't involved. So basically all of us used Olivia's village to be our training centre. Terrance was alright for four days, but on the fifth day he lost it and ran to Autumn, begging her for his iPhone back. It was actually quite hilarious because Autumn wouldn't stop blushing at the sight. 

"But I'm keeping all my tech stuff this time." I heard him muttered when I headed towards the village. 

I saw little Joanne playing with her twin sister and I waved at her. She saw me and a huge grin appeared on her face. She ran to me, arms opened wide. She jumped on me and shouted, "Rosie, I missed you!" Her twin sister saw Terrance and did the same thing to him as Joanne had did to me. 

"I missed you too, princess!" Terrance twirled her around and placed her on the ground when he became a little dizzy. From the corners of my eyes, I realized Autumn was staring at Terrance with a small smile. Both sides of her cheeks were a little pink. She liked him!! 

I pretended I didn't see Autumn's little slip up and went to greet Olivia who was already standing a few feet away from me. "Olivia!" the head villager greeted me with opened arms and I ran into them. 

"I missed you, Rosie." But her warm smile didn't stay there long. When she saw Heath and Tasha, she narrowed her eyes at them.

"We shall not entertain outsiders, Rosie." The head villager looked apologetically at me. We've known each other for such a long time, I even introduced Autumn and Terrance to her once which was before the agent's training period. They villagers welcomed the three of us, just not Heath and Tasha.

I needed to think of an excuse. Any excuse.

"He's my fiance, Olivia." Heath's eyes widened and so did Tasha's. 

"I'm sorry, Rosie. I can know when you're lying." I frowned. Olivia knew me too well. A normal person who hadn't known me for a long time wouldn't have realized I was lying.

 "Please...there are people looking for them. People who want to kill them." I begged her. For Heath's safety, I was willing to throw my pride away and beg my hardest. Olivia looked hesitant before she answered. She glanced at Heath and Tasha before sighing and giving the tiniest nod ever. 

Tasha breathed a sigh of relief before thanking Olivia a hundred times for letting them stay. "You won't stay long, right Rosie? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but there aren't many places left in my village to stay. People have increased since you last visited." 

I gave her a smile to let her see it was okay. I knew all of us needed to find some place to stay soon. But all I wanted to concentrate now was getting this wound heal and be on my feet, healthy and running again. It was only a matter of time before whoever that wanted to assasinate Heath finds us. 

~~~

That night, as a usual thing in Olivia's village, there would be a small campfire where all the villagers gather and just talk and converse with each other. But of course some villagers just wanted to spend their time at their own homes sleeping or reading a book. But most of them were around the campfire, singing, eating, and some even flirting. Well, the teenage ones were. Anyways, so while Autumn and Terrance were in a deep conversation with each other, I was stuck with two people who weren't talking at all which made it all more awkward. 

"So..." I tried to think of some topic for the three of us to talk about but nothing popped into my head. So I decided to just shut up and forget that I ever spoke. 

"Tasha, do you think you could let Rosie and I have a private chat for a minute?" Tasha looked at the both of us and nodded. She got up and stretched, before heading to Olivia's direction. 

After she left, things grew more awkward. 

"Rosie, can I talk to you?" 

"Well, you are doing that right now." I retorted, then shut my mouth when I realized it sounded mean. 

There a silence. Then he started taking off his jacket and put it around me. My eyes widened, what was he doing?! Tasha was just around the corner and he was giving his jacket to a girl who wasn't his wife! 

But you love it, don't you, Rosie? Inner Rosie whispered in my mind. I pursed my lips, I hated it when Inner Rosie was right. 

"It's pretty cold tonight, huh?" He asked, showing a pair of nice teeth. I thought I stopped breathing when he smiled. I haven't seen the smile for a long time. 

"I have to go." I quickly got up and headed towards to the villager's home that we were 'borrowing'. But thanks to Heath's long legs, he caught up and grabbed my wrist. 

"Rosie, listen." 

"I don't want to. Let me go, Heath." 

He twirled me around and I felt a pair of lips brushed against mine. He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine, his breath uneven. "Rosie, listen. May I please please please please have another chance? I know I messed up by saying 'I do' at the altar and I wish I could go back and change all that. But I can't. But I still love you. Please Rosie, give me another chance?" 

I didn't know how to answer. I didn't think I needed to as I stood on my tip toes and pressed my lips against his. 

I missed him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PREVIEW OF CHAPTER 6:

I pulled the trigger on the monster and he fell backwards to the ground. I felt completely numb as I fell to my knees beside Tasha's dying body. I grabbed her hand and pressed it against my cheek. "Please don't die, Tasha..." 

"I'm dying, Rosie. It's alright...I love you and Heath, so please take care of him, alright?" Those were her last words before she breathed out her last breath and fell dead in my arms.