Not Too Jetlagged For Jake (Ch 12)

LUCY POV
After dinner, everyone left the dining room and kitchen and retired to the living room. Emily immediately began her clearing of the tables to which I offered my help. I wouldn’t let her do everything by herself as long as I’m living here. I think three years of that was enough.

“Really, Lucy, go sit with the others. I got this.” She insisted for what seemed to be the fifth time.

I shook my head, taking the two vegetables pans and walking them to the sink “Em, I want to help. It’s enough that you did all this.” I motioned to the still nearly full table.

“It was nothing. But thank you.” She smiled, finally accepting my help. “Seth!” She called into the living room.

“What?” He replied, clearly too lazy to get up.

“Come move the table back to the shed.” She answered, moving the chairs from around the table to make it easier for him.

We both heard Seth’s loud exaggerated groan and grumble as he made his way into the kitchen. He seemed rather bemused as he stood in the doorway.

“The table..” Emily reminded sarcastically motioning to it.

Again, he groaned. “Why is it always me? Seth go flick the fuse switch. Seth go get the toolbox. Seth go get the banner. Seth you got the wrong banner. Seth go move the table.” He continued his rant as he slid the white table cloth off. “You’d think with all the things I do around here I would be making a hefty profit.”

I looked to him, shaking my head from where I stood by the dining table, collecting the silverware and plates. Always the same Seth.

“You do realize that you would have been done by now if it wasn’t for your long and may I say unnecessary rant.” Emily said turning back to washing the dishes I handed her.

Seth narrowed his eyes, hands on hips as he looked at the wide square table. He looked at it for a moment before speaking again, “So what you think I can just strap this on my back like a camel and it’ll be okay?”

I giggled loudly at this, the sound nearly echoing through the room. He definitely was my favorite cousin.

Jake’s tall frame ducked through the doorway, a smile on his face as he looked at me.

“I can hear that laugh from the living room.” He chuckled teasing me. He was probably right though. One of the things I’ve always disliked, but grown to accept was my loud laugh. I’ve always had it and it always got me attention. The guys loved to tease me about it, that along with other things.

“Neh.” I lamely replied, giving him a mock annoyed face.

“What’s Seth bitching about this time?” He patted my cousin’s shoulder roughly.

“You do realize it took two people to bring this in, right Emily?”

“Just take care of it Seth.” She rolled her eyes, disappearing behind the pantry door.

“You’re helping me with this.” Seth turned to Jake, holding one side of the table. “You get the other side.”

Jake exhaled loudly, not having the patience for Seth, but grabbed the table anyway. They quickly left for the shed. After about half an hour of our cleaning, with the help of Jake and Seth of course, we heard Billy’s as usual friendly tone sound from the living room. “Hey you girls, why don’t you come and have some tea and dessert with us already? Stop your bustlin’”

“What girls are you talking about, exactly?” Seth called back, pouring the tea into separate mugs.

Billy’s loud chuckle was the only reply he got.

Emily softly laughed, putting away the last of the dishes into the glass cabinet. I wiped down the counter and took the cake Sam had bought out of the fridge. Jake grabbed the paper plates and we were on our way out to sit with the rest.

It was really crowded in the room with Paul, Embry, and Jared pulling taking up the couch with not an inch to spare, Sue in the rocking chair, Leah sitting in one of the wooden chairs that were off to the side, Billy in his usual wheelchair of course, and Sam on the loveseat. Emily set down the tray of mugs and began passing each one. However, Sam stopped her by grabbing her waist and pulling her back next to him on the love seat. She giggled at this, but accepted, allowing everyone to grab everything for themselves. Seth grabbed another wooden chair beside his sister after taking his tea and cake. There was hardly any room for Jake and me to sit, so we just settled on floor beside the coffee table.

After about an hour, I could already feel my eyelids drooping slightly. I looked to the clock hanging behind the couch to see it was already eleven o’clock meaning it was two in the morning in New York. And I was still running on New York time. Due to my internship I was never up past twelve unless it was the month before a big event such as Fashion Week. I couldn’t stop the yawn from escaping and took that as my cue to get up before I passed out on the floor. I waited for Sue to finish her story about John Miller, the general store clerk who needed her help tending his plants while he was away. I loved Aunt Sue, but sometimes her stories got really boring.. and long.

“Alright, I think it’s time for me to go to bed.” I announced, using the table to help myself up.

“Oh my.” Billy’s eyes squinted to the clock. “Eleven already. Time flies when you’re with family. I guess we should go.”

“Oh no no. Please, stay. I’m just really jetlagged.” I answered, pushing my hair away from my face. “Don’t leave because of me.” I hugged Sue goodnight and proceeded to Billy.

“Goodnight Bills.” I pushed his hat down just to play with him. He chuckled in return and adjusted it.

“Night Leah,” I waved to her, knowing how uncomfortable she got when I hugged her before. She smirked and waved back.

“Night all.” I waved again, already on the staircase.

“Night” The guys replied, each either waving, nodding, or in Seth’s case saluting back.

I looked at Jake in particular and threw him a quick nod in the direction of upstairs before beginning to ascend the staircase. “You all behave down here!” I joked.

I knew Jacob understood my signal when I heard heavy footsteps behind me. I made it to the landing and continued on to my room, standing by my door and keeping it open for him.